Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

550I sport package as daily driver

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by IXLR8, Feb 21, 2010.

IXLR8

I've been toying with the idea of picking up an 08 550I and using this vehicle as a daily driver for about 10K per year, very limited winter use if any at all. Any thoughts on this, with particular attention to ride and maintenance? Overall comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

az3579

Fuel economy isn't ideal for a daily driver. I would recommend something less powerful.

IXLR8

Thanks for the advice and don't think I haven't thought about this. I am just in love with this combo of power and performance. I have 5 vehicles now,including two bimmers and one beemer and am now looking for the plush good performing V8 to cruise with. I drive about 40K per year so this vehicle will be driven only about 25% of that. I also live in the White Mountains of NH and winter and early spring roads can be a bear, especially with this active suspension, which I am also not too sure about. More thoughts with out too much sarcasm??

TeamStowell We love driving!

Power and comfort good...

IMHO, I would not hesitate a second to pick up one of these as a daily driver. We had a 2000 540 sport w/ Dinan toys, and we drove it all year round in upstate NY. The only reason we sold it was to get a less expensive car in terms of upkeep so we can pay off the house and what little debt we have left - a change in priorities which comes 20 years too late!

As soon as we get 6 months worth of cash in an emergency fund, we will start saving for our next "paid for with cash" target - and although we had our eyes on a used 550, we just took a tour of the BMW plant 48 hours ago and may be looking at an off lease X6 M in a couple of years.

If you can afford it, do it! The 260 miles Beverly and I spent transporting one for the Komen Drive was heaven.

az3579

I didn't mean to make it sound sarcastic, though I still don't think what I said does, but my apologies.

10k a year is absolutely nothing. That's the equivalent of walking just down the block and back a couple of times. With such limited usage, it should be fine to have a 550i, if you can keep up with the maintenance. It has a big thumpin' V8, and naturally will have more maintenance issues to address than a 6-cylinder will. But, if the maintenance and fuel economy is not a concern, I'm sure you'll have a smile permanently plastered to your face every time you drive it!

IXLR8

No apologies needed

I was just kidding, I read the little blurb on your post about being sacastic and that we have been warned and well I sort of laughed. You see I am one of those members that appreciated the diversity of opinion within this club. It is precisely just that type of passion that keeps me reading and driving BMW.

Thanks for your responses and keep em coming.

jd1966 guest

Love my 550i Everyday.

I have an '07 550i 6speed / sport and drive everyday here in Massachusetts - a good winter set-up and I've driven it daily with no issues.
    It is a great car.

jrpisha

I have a 2008 550i w/ sport package and it is a great daily driver

I have a 2008 550i w/ sport package & steptronic. It's a looker and a great daily driver; see my avatar pic. I have a nice set of BMW wheels / snowtires on it now, here's a pic with my snow shoes on: http://bmwcca.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1789.

Although Michigan's winter has been snowy this year, I've not had any problems.

I've been averaging about 22 mpg in combined city / highway driving. The mileage drops quickly when you call for hard acceleration, but what the hell......... you can't take it with you!

As for maintenance..... it's all covered for the first few years - so nothing to report there.

No problems to date with the car - other than the lip spoiler acts like a snow shovel in deep snow, and it's getting scratched. I may have to get it resprayed in the spring - we'll see...................

Enjoy,

John

Steven Otto

I picked up an 07 550 w/6 sp and sports pkg back in December. It has 35K miles on it and is my DD for my 52 mile (round trip) commute to work. It is an awesome ride and puts a big ole grin on my face every morning and every evening. Gas milage so far is 21.5 mpg. I could do much better than that if I stayed out of it a bit more but I love hearing that V-8 run. The active suspension is amazing. The car corners flat as can be. I have the Dunlop Sport SP01 run flats on my car and I've driven all winter long on snowy roads with no problems but all I've ever driven are rear wheel drive cars with manual tranny's so I don't know that rear wheel drive cars are supposed to be parked in snow.

As far as maintenance...I follow Mike Millers old school maint.Even though mine is still under factory warranty and is CPO'd, I did an oil change at 35K when I got it. I also had my local indy shop change the tranny and rear dif fluid. It is due for an inspection in about 500 miles and at that time I will have the dealer change the coolant as well.

Just do it. You won't regret it.

dwoodman guest

I drive a 550i sport as my daily driver, I just have a set of winter tires too.

JeffNNJ guest

That's what I drive and I love it. I also run a winter set up and have never had a problem in smow.

kreed777 guest

I love my 550i. Luckily, I don't have to worry about winter tires in Florida. Got some nice road hugging summer tires. Gas isn't great, but then again, it's a V8 and I love to drive.

M5WANNABE guest

I have an 08 550i. Car came from NY to Texas with 12K miles on it. I was looking for an 06 or 07 M5, but when I saw and drove the 550i - I was smitten. Don't take me wrong... I can see an M5 in my future... :) but for now 550 will have to do. I had a concern about gas mileage also, especially after my mind was stuffed with info about 10 mpg in an M5, so when I started averaging 20.5 on my daily drives to work (about 17 miles each way) - it made me feel a lot better. I used to own a Subaru WRX and that 4-banger got 20-22 with a turbo. :) My only advice is: DO IT!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, even if it ain't a roadster!

I figured out many, many years ago that I was liable to spend a good percentage of my life driving a car. So I decided it would have to be a car that made every moment I spent in it an enjoyable pastime!

The notion of driving a horrible appliance on a daily basis and saving a real car for special occasions is horrifying to me. :eek:

Of course, I have the luxury of being married to a dame with a practical alternative to the roadster: a 335i.

ggondek

I use a 2001 540/6 for about the mileage you mention. I love it.
    It gives me a break from my regular business car which is a Ford Crown Vic.
    The 540 is quieter, rides better, is faster and has a better radio.
    I get about 20 mpg which is the same as the CV so who cares about the cost of gas?

Driving in Mercer and Auglaize counties in N Ohio is a blast because you can do some interesting speeds on secondary roads. The only gripe I have is getting stuck in traffic in Columbus or Cincinnati when I wish I had an auto trans..

ggondek

cbm3 guest

Get it!

I've been driving my 550i with 6 speed and M sport package pretty much daily and it's fantastic. At 10K a year, the difference in fuel cost between that and a 535i is minimal. I did the math before I bought it and I'm soooooo glad I sprung for the V8.