Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Can I haz better brakes?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Feb 19, 2010.

z31maniac guest

Probably couldn't trade them in, but you'd definitely be able to sell them on the forums. The street kit I had on my Bronzit sold in less than a week (obviously I wish I hadn't sold them now, but what are you gonna do).

If later decided you NEEDED the bigger brakes, didn't just WANT the bigger brakes (or just want for bling, I'm OK with that), you could sell the brackets and calipers, then someone could buy new pads/rotors. And you put that money toward one of the larger kits.

Really though, trust me, the Street kit is a phenomal upgrade over stock in terms of feel/modulation, not to mention power.

That's why I can't wait to see what they feel like on my lighter slicktop M42 car wearing proper sticky tires.

az3579

Fantastic. 280mm it is then.
    And the good new is that those fit my Ronals. :)

az3579

Do stainless steel brake lines offer any kind of performance advantage? It is my understanding that there is still rubber inside these lines. If so, what's the point?

tiFreak

it won't expand with the pressure, no real performance benifit but it does give a firmer pedal feel

MGarrison

If by "no real performance benefit" you mean no decrease in stopping distance, ok (somewhat debatable). I don't know about you, but I consider not having the brake pedal being spongy as all hell when trying to brake down from 120 mph going into Canada Corner @ Road America or the back straight at Mid-Ohio a 'performance' benefit.

I consider having confidence that the car's going to slow down enough in the distance I need it to (or doing anything else I need it to do) a performance benefit. Among the things in this world I would think you wouldn't want to be conjecturing about how well they'll work or not are things like: brakes... birth control... among others :p

az3579

Got it. Give it another week or two and I'll be pulling the trigger.
    So far on my laundry list:

* 280mm kit
    * stainless steel brake lines
    * ATE Super Gold (I have blue in there now) brake fluid
    * retorque the nut behind the steering wheel
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

No, there is no rubber. There is a teflon tube that is surrounded by the braided stainless to prevent expansion.

granthr

What do you use to keep the nut behind your steering wheel locked down? Mine is always coming loose! Next thing I know we are doing 100+ down the road. Its just crazy! :p

az3579

Who said the nut stays locked down? That's why i said "re"-torque. :D

Zeichen311

I think you two are not referring to the same nut. ;)

Brian A

Frankly, it sounds like your accelerator pedal is sticking. I thought only Toyotas did that. Check for recall notices.

Wrong tool. Get Chris to hit the nut with a big hammer.

az3579

He should be careful; the nut will hit back.

lcjhnsn

I think we're talking about the "Nut" that occupies the seat immediately aft of the Steering Wheel?? Not an internally helically threaded female fastener that retains some structural bit of the automobile [IMG]

z31maniac guest

I've got my rotors/fittings/brackets for my Massive Street Kit.

Calipers/pads/stainless steel lines should be here this week hopefully.

az3579

I was 98% sure I was going to purchase the 280mm kit from Massive, but then....

I bought something else. It's the UUC 300mm kit with calipers specifically designed for E30's, maximizing the chances it'll fit my wheels. I know it'll fit at least one set (the Kosei's), and I'm fairly confident it will clear the other two sets, but if it doesn't then I'll shop for some wheels after selling those. I'm no longer worried about fitment, to be honest, because I'm confident they'll be fine, at least with small (5mm) spacers.

The kit includes all of the required braking components plus stainless steel brake lines and Hawk DTC-05 pads (had a choice of DTC-05 or DTC-30). I just couldn't pass up this amazing deal and the discounts ended today, so, hopefully I'll be posting pics of my rotors completely blocking the view behind my wheels next weekend. :)

Link to product:
    http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...2=505775094&ProductID=563&Target=products.asp
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That seems like a very good deal. Are the pistons sized to prevent too much forward brake bias?

z31maniac guest

I don't think it's really a good deal when you consider what you get from similarly priced kits elsewhere. Talk to the guy who won BMWCCA D-Mod in his E30 and ask him who he buys his brake kits from.......

I also don't understand his claim about more brake clearance either, especially without a template to back it up. It's using a Dynalite pad which is thicker than the Dynapro pad, yet he is claiming more clearance.

That means that the outer caliper body has to be even thinner than the Dynapro, yet he claims the caliper has more torsional rigidity than the Dynapro or Superlite (The caliper you get in the similarly priced get from Massive that still fits under nearly all 15" wheels).

He also uses the light duty rotors vs the HD rotors you get in the similarly priced Massive kit.

z31maniac guest

They need to be 1.38" for that, but it also doesn't tell you.

az3579

Dunno... I linked the guy who posted the kit (he's a vendor) and I'll let you know what he says.

az3579