Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

TPM Malfunction

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by jsp3, Feb 12, 2010.

jsp3

Is anyone else experiencing frequent TPM Malfunction alerts? This is not a warning that your tires are low in air, but one that the TPM system has malfunctioned and isn't working. After 3 visits to the dealer to report this, among other problems, they finally discovered that my TPM antenna was bad and replaced it. During the same visit, they also determined that one wheel TPM transmitter was bad and replaced it. But since that service visit, I continue to get the warning.

Is it likely that it's additional wheel transmitters that are bad? I really don't have time to go back again just for this problem. Besides the mechanics damage my vehicle in small ways (seats, handles, paint scratches, etc) on each visit.

M3Driver guest

We sure have! Our X3 has had similar problems since we got it new in April '08. The TPM module was not communicating with the OBC and set a fault. BMW NA would not replace it since they couldn't see "hard fault". My dealer replaced it on their dime with BMW NA paying a dime but the light came back last week but went off shortly afterwards. I am still working with the service manager who is on the line with with BMW NA. I'll let you know what we find out and what they do.

jsp3

Back in shop for more TPM Malfunction warnings

I took my 650i back in today since after replacing the TPM antenna and the right rear module three weeks ago, I continue to get "TPM Malfunction!" warnings. I've had at least 7 instances since - I now have to keep a log in my car of all the issues. They promised to have a different technician look at it this time. What's funny (or not) is that the first several times I reported the problem, my SA assumed I was getting a low tire inflation warning. He probably does see many customers who don't bother to check and fill their tires with air. I had to explain that no, this was a malfunction of the system, which means it's not working to even determine if I have the correct pressure. I"ll let you know what they find.

jsp3

Definition of insanity

Everyone probably knows this definition: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I now must be insane. I just returned from my fourth visit to my dealer to try to correct the TPM Malfunction problem. Last visit they replaced an RDC antenna due to fault 604E. They also discovered fault 6057 and replaced and the right rear sensor. It took about a day for the TPM Malfunction to return.

Today, I picked up my vehicle and the report says that once again fault 604E was stored and again they replaced the right rear TPM antenna. This time, I didn't get 5 miles from the dealer when I experienced my latest TPM Malfunction!

This is the fourth time I've had it worked on at this dealer for this issue and I don't really have time or the energy for a fifth visit on this. This issue and my recent scare where my door opened while I was driving are really making me think this car is a lemon. I'm going to check the California lemon laws on this.....:mad: