Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

4 Wheel Alignment

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by TommyBuckman, Jan 30, 2010.

TommyBuckman

Want to hear from the group. I have 2000 M Roadster that has been to a BMW Dealer for 4 wheel alignment, but they said everything was too loose in the front to align, with out repair. Not true, I had checked all the hard ware and bushings, and everything was fine. They said that the rear wheels could not be aligned, but my drivers rear is eating the inside of the tire with only 8000 miles on it. It does appear to have more negative camber on the left rear than on the right. The front end seems to have major negative camber, and follows all groves in the road. Very Twitchy! I recently did a HPDE with the Porsche Club, have added a passenger roll bar from HardDog, and the Porsche Club will let you run. It drove great at VIR, with slight understeer and some push. Another Euro Performance shop charged me to do a 4 Wheel Alignment, but it drives exactly the same, and is wearing the insides of both fronts, and the inside left rear. Just want to know what everyone else thinks. Also, I blew the head gasket passing a Porsche 911 on the back straight the last day. The engine only had 8000 miles on it. Seems the previous builder either used the head bolts over, or did not torque properly? I was turning it 7000 rpm on every shift. The head gasket looked like it was burned between every cylinder, but blew between 5 and 6. Anyone else had this problem. They sure are great driving little cars, and quick.
    • Staff

steven s

Wide tires will cause tramlining.

Have you lowered your suspension?
    That will chew up the insides of your rear tires.
    There are no adjustments.
    Could be bushings, but you probably need adjustable camber plates for the rear.

Why are you shifting at redline on every shift?
    I'm usually at redline coming out of Hogpen @ VIR but generally not that high anywhere else.

TommyBuckman

Hey Steven S. I am not sure if car has been lowered, but it does have aftermarket springs and shocks. It does not have adjustable camber plates front or rear, but I have considered doing so when and if I get some money. As far as Redline, that was a slight exaggeration, as many times I was behind traffic, or approaching points that it was not necessary. More specifically, I was shifting near RedLine on straights in the lower gears when I had room to do so. On the back straight, I would often short shift from 4th to 5th, as I would be running at 115 to 120 mph anyway near the end before braking, and as stated before, the car was a little twitchy at speed. Since I am still in Blue Group, sometimes with Instructors, but sometimes without, I don't carry as much speed always through Hogpen and the Rollercoaster and try to make up for it slightly with brute power coming out of the turn. I know, smooth is better, and good speed in the corner makes for great speed at the end of the straight. I am still learning, but having a blast! Thanks for the input!
    • Staff

steven s

You should see what spring and struts you have.
    My guess is if a car came with adjustable camber plates, the car is lowered.