Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E28 Steering Wheel Noise

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by 528eta, Jan 24, 2010.

528eta guest

When i turn the wheel on my 528 there is a quiet, low knocking sound. Is this a part of normal wear or do i need to be replacing something?

BMWCCA1

Knocking as in rotational? Or creaking? Engine running or not? Parking? Driving?

Common steering noise on the E28 is worn/dry front sway-bar links. You can disconnect them to test and replace if necessary.

528eta guest

ya its rotational, you could call it creaking, its when the car is on, parked or driving. it sounds like its coming directly from the steering column.

BMWCCA1

Creaking, I'd check the sway-bar link. You can disconnect it from the bar on the left side to see if it goes away. It's an insidious noise from a small part that can feel like it's right at your feet. Simple to fix so a worthwhile first thing to check. Some find relief in injecting lubricant into the boot at the joint but it's probably easier just to replace it. Two nuts, once you figure out how to keep them from turning with your hand tools.

It's part number 6 in this picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DC74&mospid=47231&btnr=31_0036&hg=31&fg=10

Part number 31351134582. List price is around $50 from a BMW dealer. Some will discount it to around $42. Available on-line as a non-OEM part for as little as $10, or OE quality from several Club supporters for around $20 to $30. Worth a try.

528eta guest

alright, thanks for the info