Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 Brake Caliper Seal

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by haromich, Jan 15, 2010.

haromich guest

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front calipers on my 1969 BMW 2002, vin 1663275 built September, 1968 (two piston type). I had to disassemble the caliper halves (due to a very frozen piston) which I know is discouraged. I have found the correct high strength bolts and nuts to reassemble the halves, but I can't find the two little seals that go between the halvs. They look like small fat rubber washers... about 9mm OD and 4mm ID with thickness of 3-4mm. Any ideas on where I could find these? Thanks.

CRKrieger

I wish I did. At least you now know why it's discouraged. I managed to wrestle a set of four stuck pistons out of a Volvo caliper once, so I feel your pain. It might be almost as cheap and certainly a lot less frustrating to just track down a reconditioned caliper and use this one for a core.

haromich guest

Thanks for the empathy

You're probably right on just finding remanufactured units. But now I'm spooked because the caliper piston seals in the rebuild kits (specified for my vehicle) are for pistons about 8-10mm smaller od. Makes me wonder if I can find the correct rebuilt units! Thanks for the reply. Harold

John in VA

CRKrieger

It may have been that your kit was incorrectly packed ...

haromich guest

Uncle

Well, I threw in the towel and dropped the calipers off at a rebuild shop that I've heard wonderful things about (from other 2002 owners no less). They're doing for $50 per caliper... less than the cost of the seals alone from maxmillan! Thanks for all the suggestions though! Harold