Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 rad hose coolant temp. sensor failure??

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by paradisur808, Jan 12, 2010.

paradisur808 guest

:rolleyes:went for scheduled maintenance for my 2000 E46 BMW SportWagon
    initial issue was "the coolant reservoir" had a small leak (overheating)
    was advised to perform coolant change and replace "coolant reservoir"

a few weeks after driving around 300 - 400 miles around the island (Oahu, Honolulu)
    the same problem recur. noticed coolant mixed with the engine oil
    am a new owner with BMW's & not familiar with this very fine ultimate performance car

was told that the "head cracked" !! initially I was surprised and had a short discussion about the problem. the oil was frozen on top of the engine block, near the spark plug(s)
    kept filling up oil, since the engine oil is mixing with the engine coolant

had no choice but agreed to repair the "cylinder head" that cracked
    a very expensive procedure on my budget. I picked up the car and was
    told that the solenoid jammed (VANOS/exhaust part #12 14 7 518 628)
    was told to go back after driving 200 miles (it doesn't sound right)
    I picked-up the car after 2 weeks. Supposed to be repaired but with another problem paying a very costly repair and time. they have to replace and clean the hose(s)

would it be possible that the "lower hose coolant thermistor" failed
    which caused the whole chain of engine problem(s)? it was too late for me to notice
    when I saw the thermistor wire was cut. this must be one of the isolated cases
    where a "heating problem" that led "cylinder head" & VANOS issues. it was a
    very costly mistake to overlook the coolant thermistor/temperature sensor
    this engine part is very delicate and broken into 2.

any comment(s) and thought(s) about this issue would be appreciated

paradisur808 guest

2000 E46 SportWagon/thermistor/vanos issue

haven't tried to duplicate the problem to come up with the same result. would a "fault code" would be generated if this coolant temperature sensor wires were cut other than the add coolant warning light? this bimmer have two cooling fan(s). there is the electronically driven fan behind the grill and the second one was mechanically driven located between the radiator and the engine. this has the steptronic automatic transmission. the thermistor/temperature coolant sensor part looked like a "rocket" & have two wires inside.
    it holds true to it shape this part "rocks" the engine perfomance and to my pocket. have learned an important lesson & at least still have preserved my sanity.

paradisur808 guest

addional photograph(s)

can't figure out the real cause why the wire(s) inside the thermistor failed. it was very possible this problem was intermittent (on and off) considering the wires in some cases touch each other while I am driving. for whatever reason this thermistor failed, it is very reasonable to inspect and check this very delicate part.

paradisur808 guest

addional photograph(s)

these were the fault codes that consistently came up from the scanner. the exhaust vanos solenoid were on limp mode (when a reset is not performed before you drive).
    pardon me for the unclear & messy photographs. have not came accross a code that indicated a faulty thermistor/thermostat/coolant temp. sensor since I had the scanner.
    just a little bit lucky, am little bit familiar with the different number systems. the decimal is from the BMW Bentley Service Manual and hexadecimal is from the BMW scanner user's manual cross-referenced from the BMW specific Fault Codes table.

paradisur808 guest

2000 BMW E46 Touring Code Charts

cross-referenced with the Bentley 3 Series Fault Code Charts and BMW Code Charts (decimal / hexadecimal)

note: my engine problem(s) might be unique and might not be applicable to each BMW
    E46 (3 series) it is reasonable to consult a qualified BMW mechanic.

paradisur808 guest

Critical BMW Fault-Code Generator

Based on where the problem with my BMW. Would it be beneficial if a program or a new updated code charts from decimal to hexadecimal. must take a lot of time to create a program or a program code to convert the decimal fault-codes (Benttley) to hexadecimal generated from the BMW scanners. these charts would make it easier to troubleshoot, localize and interpret BMW fault-code(s). these might not guarantee sure fix of the problem and yet it will speed up the process and time to repair and/or replace the critical part. Or even to the extent that you can simulate the whole available code charts of all BMW(s).

paradisur808 guest

2000 BMW Touring / Critical Code Chart Generator (Update)

having a scanner/reset tool which is capable of displaying hexadecimal BMW fault-codes alongside a Bentley's Service Manual. might be beneficial to update the code charts (manual) either creating an additional column vis-a-vis (alongside) with the hexadecimal/decimal fault-code(s). in some cases this will lessen or minimize the confusion/errors to interpret these fault-codes. or a "unit/device" which is available in the market (generic) that instantly displays these fault-code(s) as shown from the Bentley's Service Manual. In short, to make the manual and the unit more user-friendly. Have a background as an electronics and communications engineer. A user-friendly device/unit will be very helpful, depending on someone's preference. Having a generic scanner/reset tool might suffice.

note: this is not intended to fix and/or solve your BMW related problem(s). My problem might be unique in my local area or weather related. the end-result might also be different. this only serves as a guide and might be useful only as a reference. might be reasonable to consult a licensed BMW mechanic in your area before you proceed if not very familiar about in this fine ultimate driving machine (2000 E46 BMW Touring)

paradisur808 guest

BMW E46 Touring / thermistor / vanos issues connected? (see photograph)

note: significant factor(s) might be the weather, oil viscosity, location etc.
    this was a safety issue, please consult a qualified BMW mechanic.

paradisur808 guest

additional photograph(s) / 2000 E46 BMW limousine / sportwagon / touring

note: photograph(s) shown taken started from a leaking "coolant reservoir" replacement to a jammed "vanos" exhaust solenoid. this is my first BMW. being an electronics & communications engineer, I took a lot of effort to research, familiarize, analyze and gather information about the vehicle. it is a safety issue. very heartbreaking and very concerned to loss such as this ultimate driving machine. please decide & drive accordinly.

danke shon / merci beau coupe / muchos gracias / grazie / thank u

paradisur808 guest

Updates on my E46 BMW (photographs) / thermistor & vanos problem etcetera

additional photographs as shown below the water pump & engine oil sensor.
    initially suspected the oil was dirty or the oil sensor was not working, fault-code reader/scanner/reset tool showing (hexadecimal) 68 (decimal) 104 vanos exhaust "invalid reference value" might also poor connector contacts so proceeded to clean the sensor terminals from oil & dirt then replaced. Replaced the water pump this took me almost a day to finish the whole job. these has 2 cooling fans. as shown the original water pump unit was the latest with a metal impeller which I replaced. As recommended from the BMW preventive maintenance schedule. these were done before I noticed the "thermistor/thermostat/coolant oil sensor" was defective. t'was a learning and very significant experience. was able to familiarize & had a hands-on experience in this very intricate & high performance well refined BMW engine. yes, it's true it is very expensive to maintain a BMW most specially if it is your first BMW.

note: these are based from my own personal experience the end result might be different & very uncommon. consult a licensed BMW mechanic before you proceed.

paradisur808 guest

update(s) after 62,000 plus miles / update pictures

these picture might raise some questions than answer(s). am still getting the same bmw fault-code(s). the motor oil might have some microscopic metal components due to the
    previous repair(s) due to the Vanos failure. thus resulted an undesired impedance/resistance/inductance/capacitance. i am not too familiar with chemistry. am still have to refresh myself with temperature/volume/pressure, material(s), the weather and operator/driver relationship. have seen many dried leaves and debris
    stucked right below the radiator which decreased ventilation. might need more ventilation. am certain this car have an excellent electronic feedback and instrumentaion mechanism. seemed like self-adjusting. based on my experience in the preventative and corrective maintence of electro-mechanical devices the moving parts are the most likely to fail and the electronic active parts as well. a very smaill percentage are due to the driver or operator due to improper use or abuse.. performed periodic cleaning and previously applied electronic contact cleaner got the same result. kindly see pictures for clarity. the minor oil leak might be just a "nuisance". forgive me for the blunt word. this is the most sensible and most practical way to maintain this fine and excellent vehicle in my present situation. adding motor oil and checking regularly is more practical than openning the engine. every situation and circumtaces are different. was it 1/3 mechanical and 1/3 electronic and 1/3 environment and the rest were circumstancial ! was it 2/3 and 1/3 ! these boggles my mind. well life must go on.

note: these might be only an isolated case and location specific. please consult your preferred BMW service advisor. am not responsible for any consequential or incidental damage(s).

paradisur808 guest

mileage update with photographs 17August2010

these were the latest photographs taken today. regularly performed to change motor oil every 7500 miles. kept the used oil in the original container. am planning to recycle/reuse the motor oil and change the motor oil sensor (BOSCH) as well. this sensor is subject to grime/dirt/heat/oil and vibration etcetera. am sure this specific part were made to last and to withstand the normal operating conditions this vehicle was intended to. still is a fine vehicle to drive.

note: kindly consult your preffered BMW service adviser. am not responsible for any consequential and incidental damages. this fine vehicle needs TLC.

paradisur808 guest

photographs and updates 18August2010

using the AC (more power load) cause overheating.
    see photos and repair done in my shop/garage. see mileage

paradisur808 guest

end of the day summary /18August2010

mileage with recycled motor oil and photographs
    my BMW has the 7 segment LED (not the latest) is
    double system (with the adaptor) / one inside the hood (passenger side & below the steering wheel). the coolant temperature sensor (aka thermistor) is also shown.

note: kindly consult your preferred BMW service adviser. am not responsible for any consequential or incidental damages.

paradisur808 guest

end of the day summary /20August2010/Friday

with the AC off, completely flushed the coolant a little more than a year ago.
    reused/recycled motor oil (flushed out about 2 quarts yesterday) and put 2 quarts new
    motor oil. the engine is running smoothly on idle. photographs will do justice.

note: performed motor oil changes every 7500 miles and kept them in the same container.
    seemed working fine. weather was a very significant factor. 33% recycled / 33%
    within the oil pan and 34% new motor oil. (my best estimate). never opened the
    inner engine hood since the vanos repair. kindly consult your preferred BMW
    service adviser/provider. my situation might be unique and an isolated case.

paradisur808 guest

end of the day summary /29August2010/Sunday

photograph(s) and updates as shown. hope my experience help at least one out there.
    it can also be possible that a strong jolt/voltage/electromagnetics?? from below can damage the VANOS? since it has a magnet/solenoid. felt a very strong jolt from below
    while driving before a MIL (malfunction indicator light) pop out. solenoids must be properly isolated. am not sure the operating conditions the solenoids (tolerance) normally operate. did this with my best of intention. danke shon/ thanks / grazie / muchos gracias / merci beau coupe / mersi / ***

note: am not responsible for any incidental and/or consequential loss or damage. kindly
    consult your preferred BMW service advisor. this might be an isolated case. this
    is a very serious matter and can be fatal or result in an accident. danke