Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hard brake pedal

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Big Ace, Jan 6, 2010.

Big Ace

I had my '08 E93 in for a brake fluid change and also to them the brake pedal was hard to push after the car was parked for 2 hours. The service manager told me this was normal. I showed him a service bulletin for the '07 3 series with the same problem and again I was told my problem was normal for my car. I called BMW NA and they were no help. I will be meeting with the factory rep at the end of the month. :mad:

az3579

A brake fluid change along with a proper bleeding will result in a firmer pedal. Are you sure you're not exaggerating? :)

Big Ace

The pedal was hard to push before I took the car in for the service. It is like pushing against a solid piece of steel. It just moves enought to get the car started. then the vacuum pressure is back and the pedal works normally.

az3579

So you're saying the pedal is only stiff when the car is off?

If so, that is absolutely normal. My car is the same exact way (which is a manual), as is almost every other car I've driven. Perhaps the pedals weren't as stiff as you're explaining it, but if the pedal feel comes back after starting the car (vacuum assist kicks in), then I do not believe there is any cause of concern, as long as you are able to push the pedal when the car is in motion, which is really what matters.

Big Ace

fshubert

My car can go 3 or 4 days before the brake pedal is hard. Before that, I've got lots of vacuum when I hit it pedal to start the car.

Big Ace

My car was like that about 8 months ago whe it started with the hard pedal ( before that I never had that problem), now it is after 2 hours.

stormy

I have this exact same problem with my 2008 E92. The dealer said my car is normal but I know it isn't. I have two Bimmers now and have had a great number over the years and this is the only one that has acted like that. I'm anxious to see what your out come is. I sure would like to get mine fixed.

Big Ace

I was a pain in there a** and them I was going to call the owners of the dealership, a lawyer, and the NHTSA. Twenty minutes later I gat a call to bring the can in the next day (Friday). They are going to fix the problem but not under the old TSB as then they said they would not get paid. Instead as a new problem. They checked and the hose had an old part number. They had to back order the part from the Fatherland and it should be here in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Big Ace

I took the car in on 1/9/10 to get the vacuum hose and check valve changed. I was told they had to get the part from Germany. On Thursday the 14th I got a call the part was in, and I made an appointment for Tuesday the 19th. Went in yesterday to get the part replaced, the dealer wanted to give me a loaner car as it would take some time. I told them I would wait for the car to be fixed as I did not want to came back the next day. It took a total of 2 1/2 hours but I got the car fixed and it seem to be OK.
    This is what was on my copy of the work done.

3433510 Replacing check valve for brake booster
    983 WB
    1 9911-66-7-601-992 VACUUM PIPE: 116061