Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Setting up bluetooth on my 645

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by akhavanr, Dec 30, 2009.

akhavanr guest

I just purchased a 2005 645 convertible. I just love the car. Only one thing has been bothering me. I can not pair my phone (palm Centro on sprint network) with my car's bluetooth communication system. Manufacturing date on my car is 7/05. Per BMW's website (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...urBMW/CurrentlyAvailableCompatiblePhones.aspx), Centro works on 645s manufactured after Sept 05. I then tried my Blackberry curve which is supposed to work with 645s manufactured after March of 05. I still had no lucks. I tried with my friend's iPhone. Same: No luck.

The only thing I see when I go to communication menu is "Please activate phone" message.

I did go through the iDrive setup and first enabled bluetooth before I tried to go to communication menu.

Is there anything else that needs to be done like dealer needs to enable something else on my car?

Help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

theBOAT guest

It sounds like you haven't yet paired your phone (or any of them) to the car. From my memory, this is done through the "i" menu in iDrive, not the Communications section (German logical thinking). Once you've paired the Centro and Blackberry to the 6er with the bluetooth connection, you'll be able to start using the Communication section of iDrive to see your phone book. My old Blackberry, RAZR, and current iPhone 3GS all have pushed their phone books to my 545i after a few moments of being paired... Not sure if the Palm will do this, though, because of its weak operating system. Best of luck!

CLG

akhavanr guest

Thank you so much... Owners manual does not tell you how to go through the setup. I guess dealers set it up for buyers when they purchase the car new. Here is the instructions step by step if you (like me) have purchased your car from non-BMW dealer who knows nothing about Bmers.

Information->Communication Settings
    -> Bluetooth -> Settings
    Check "Bluetooth communication active" box
    -> Bluetooth -> phone
    You will see "Bluetooth connections in this menu" message.

Start pairing process from your phone. Your phone should detect "BMWnnnn" device.

I was able to pair both my Palm Centro and Blackberry Curve.

Interestingly enough, no one in my local BMW Dealer (VOB) even lift a finger to tell me what I needed to do. They pretty much told me you are out of luck if you phone is not in BMWs list.