Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which is the right one?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Nitendoraku, Apr 4, 2008.

Nitendoraku guest

I'm new to BMW's. Always wanted one and now is my chance. The two I'm looking at are as follows,

1995 318i Boston Green, Manual 5 speed, 36,890 miles, $7,500.00
    1995 325i Dark Blue-M, Automatic, 6,870 miles = $9,800.00

Both have leather/power seats, sunroof, both cars seem to be in excellent shape.

What I'm looking to do with the car is some light modifications, power/suspension/looks etc. I am leaning toward the 318i just because of being an manual transmission. Also I do like to drive automatics. I'm having a tuff time deciding. I have been doing some research on this E36, and what I found is that this is one of the better engines out, but really can't find anything pushing me to the right choice. Any info you guys could provide would be of great service to me. Also if you know of any good sites where it would make decision easier would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

330indy1

umm ... you're not going to like this but,

get a six cylinder with manual transmission....

you won't regret it.

cj morgan guest

the '95 325i seems like a better deal..

eicarguy

both, but...

I drove E30 318i and E30 325. You'll need patience with the slower 318, but the gas mileage is great. Of course now I have a 1998 M3 so I know the cars.

Since they are both OBD1 cars, engine/trans swapping won't be too bad. You'll swap for a stick when the auto quits and you'll need to change engine/trans to get real power into the 318.

I'd lean toward the 318 just because I never had one and I bet they are easy to work on. And the mileage!!

Just my $.02

ei

mattm

I've owned a '96 318i for over seven years. Bought with 42,000 miles. It is now at 150,000. It is starting to get broken in. :D Mine has the M44 motor (1.9 litre), whereas the 1995 has the M42 (1.8).

I am trying to remember if it has ever stranded me. I did replace a fuel level sender about four years ago. Everything else has been maintence.

It is my winter beater, and autocross car (see my avatar).

terroristshoe guest

i would also recommend if you can find one, a 328 iS, but they aren't as easy to come across, i have a 96 and it's a true joy to drive.

i know it's all a matter of opinion though so just have fun and go with what you want, cheers!
    The Shoe

snikwad guest

318 FTL dude

Nitendoraku guest

well, I got the 325i, I will pick it up this friday, the shop is gonna give it a one final over and do some in/out detailing, I went with the 325i only because I am sick of driving a manual transmission. The miles where just too low to resist. Hmmmm,,, now what mods? The car is totally stock except for the tinted windows. There was one thing I did notice and hopefully soomeone can point me in the right direction. On the rear window on the two top corners was missing the rubber pieces, I did look at the 318i and it had the rubber pieces but they where about to fall off also. Should I replace the sealing around the rear window? Anyone have the same issue? If so how did you fix it?

mattm

FTL?

That 318i has done okay: 2007 SCCA Pro Solo H Stock National Champ, 2002 SCCA H Stock Solo National Champ. And a bunch of SCCA National Tour wins and New England Region Championships, too.

FTW, baby, FTW.
    [IMG]