Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

9 months in the making - S50 swap [pics]

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Dec 28, 2009.

Elkoholic

God speed, man. And I thought the timing belt was a feat-and-a-half...

granthr

If you have a skilled welder working for you, I would say weld it up and keep going. :)

Otherwise call Chris at BMWWholesale. He can probably get you one pretty quickly.

http://www.bmwwholesale.net/ 1-866-925-6699

Awesome project, hopefully I will see it in person (in car?) some day. :D

az3579

That's what we've decided to do. It's just easier and cheaper to just weld it in.

Well give me a reason to go to PA then. :p

Elkoholic

+1, my car is in the shop at CR's, and Tim has been keeping me updated on everything that needs to be fixed. Awesome guys, know their stuff, and VERY reasonable. Driveshaft seal replacement at a local place was estimated to be between $800 and $900. Tim and the CR guys did that, plus a new guibo and shift linkage seal and an inspection for $300. Just awesome.

Okay, end plug :p

SchnuckiE30 guest

E30s20

WOW, what a project! I never thought there was that much wiring and such in an E30 - almost enough to make ya go back to a '71 Nova :D

Thanks for all the pics, I'll keep this as a reference for my ride if I get that deep into it.

Will you rebuild the S20? Definately worth it - the small block Chevy of German engines - solid, reliable, powerful, durable, easy maintenance.

az3579

No sir, I will not touch the thing. It isn't worth me dumping any more money into an engine that I will never use again. Honestly, I think all it needs are valve seals because it runs like a champ, but does use a little but of oil. Nothing out of the ordinary, and is expected for an engine with an estimated minimum of 337k miles!

Wednesday and Thursday were light days that did not warrant my trip 2 hours from my home, but today (Friday), we are going to put in the engine and tranny, and should have it running by the end of the day! Tomorrow the exhaust gets put on, and I will be driving home in a different kind of beast.

Will post pics later tonight.

Autohaus guest

I hope your 20 minute back-road trip to the exhaust shop won't get interrupted by five o :(. Remember, if you see a squad car, just throw it in neutral and turn off the ignition.

Arash2002tii guest

We completed a swap on my friends Miata this past summer and broke in the engine with no exhaust :cool:. Cops were called on us immediately but he seemed more angry that we had no hood on the car rather than the racket we were making.

MGarrison

az3579

Original post updated with the following:

12/30/09 + 12/31/09 - Days 3 + 4
    * Miscellaneous prep

01/01/10 - Day 5
    * Fidanza 13-lb flywheel fitted to tranny
    * S52 clutch fitted
    * The subframe issue has been corrected during prep days with a welder. The reinforcement plates and welds have been sprayed to prevent rusting.
    * Custom short-shifter had to be made. The UUC Evo 2 that was sort of attached to the tranny wasn't complete, as it was missing the top half of the shift lever. We had to reuse the Z3 1.9 shift lever I already had installed, and required some modification to make it fit. The result of the modifications was an even shorter throw than what it was before, somewhere between the distance of a UUC2 and UUC3.
    * Lifted and mounted engine, transmission, and subframe into the vehicle from the bottom of the car. Hooked up ECU and other misc bits and pieces.

01/02/10 - Day 6
    * Installed radiator, coolant hoses, and fuel lines
    * Finished hooking up misc small things to get the engine started
    * Off it went to the exhaust shop - only to get stuck there until Monday!
    * The pictures for Days 5 + 6 are pictures that depict the engine just installed quickly to get to the exhaust shop in time before they closed. Wires will be tidied up and things will be finalized by the time I pick the car up on Monday, such as the HFM and intake boot installed, wiring harness mounted properly, etc. Will take final pics once it's all ready to go.

See next few posts for pictures.

VIDEO of the first engine startup and subsequent run to the exhaust shop (all without exhaust):

First startup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT32pi_LB6c

Drive to exhaust shop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PF19pTdEM

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Brian A

The thing actually started?!?!?!?!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It is AMAZING what you have done.

lcjhnsn

First: WTF is wrong with you guys doing this job without safety glasses & gloves!!! Metal filings in your eyeball or a laceration of a finger will not help completion of the project one little bit.

Second: CONGRATULATIONS, awesome job!!! I'm looking forward to seeing, hearing, experiencing the end product

eam3

Great job!! You need to post video when it's all complete, although I have to admit to liking the wicked sound without the exhaust system :)

TeamStowell We love driving!

Nice job Botond! I will volunteer to work the first Drivers School you bring that beast to just to see it do some laps around Lime Rock.