Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

9 months in the making - S50 swap [pics]

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Dec 28, 2009.

az3579

The journey to make my 325extremelyslow into a 330is is now 9 months in the making. After 9 months of collecting money and parts, the project has now officially begun. I will use this thread to document what is going on, and will be used by me as a reference. But, I suppose you guys might take interest as well, so it has a dual-purpose!

This original post will be edited as things are done.

Parts collected for the swap are as follows:
    * 113k-mile S50B30-US. Ran beautifully in car before removed. Taken care of as evidenced by the maintenance performed on the car from which it came. Came with a silver-label 506 ECU, non-EWS.
    * ZF S5D320-Z 5-speed from an E36 328is. Same as one from an M3 S52.
    * 13-lb lightweight Fidanza flywheel, fitment for E36 S52 clutch
    * E36 S52 clutch
    * Reused my manual 325e driveshaft
    * Reused manual 325e tranny crossmember
    * E34 525i (M50) oil pan
    * E34 525i (M50) throttle cable
    * E28 535i engine mounts
    * Treehouse Racing Brake Booster (pre-modified)
    * Stock 325e brake master cylinder
    * E36 318ti radiator
    * E30 front subframe reinforcement kit
    * E36 M3 S50 midpipe with cats and S52 catback (bought together)

Maintenance items included:
    * (6) Bosch F7LDCR spark plugs
    * Water pump with metal impellar (and gasket)
    * Thermostat (88-degree) and thermostat housing (with gaskets)
    * Oil filter
    * Oil pan gasket (E34 525i)

Notes:
    * Oil pump nut will be welded.
    * Engine will be taken out by dropping it out from under the car along with the front subframe. No engine hoist, unfortunately.

12/28/09 - Day 1 - (below pics are for Day 1)
    * Drove to near swap location in loaner, and drove my car with the M20 for the last time to the shop. Ran smooth and flawlessly, as usual.
    * Removed most of the things from the engine bay that will no longer apply (not in order):
    ** radiator, fan shroud, coolant expansion tank, brake booster and master cylinder (MC will be reinstalled), spark plug wire set, engine wiring harness and ECU, exhaust (from headers to muffler), MAF, intake boot, idle control valve, air filter, vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, coolant drained (of course)
    ** driveshaft separated from tranny
    * Original plan was to have engine and tranny removed, but ran out of time. Will be completed the next morning.

12/29/09 - Day 2
    * Finally separated steering rack - had a hard time disconnecting
    * Lowered engine/tranny with subframe and slid out from under car
    * Separated engine/tranny from subframe
    * Subframe reinforcement kit welded to subframe
    * Maintenance on S50 performed: replaced water pump, thermostat + housing, drive belt, oil filter
    ** Need to replace valve cover gasket (and need to order) - will replace spark plugs when this is done

[PICS for Day 2 are on posts: 15, 16, 17, and 18 ]

12/30/09 + 12/31/09 - Days 3 + 4
    * Miscellaneous prep

01/01/10 - Day 5
    * Fidanza 13-lb flywheel fitted to tranny
    * S52 clutch fitted
    * The subframe issue has been corrected during prep days with a welder. The reinforcement plates and welds have been sprayed to prevent rusting.
    * Custom short-shifter had to be made. The UUC Evo 2 that was sort of attached to the tranny wasn't complete, as it was missing the top half of the shift lever. We had to reuse the Z3 1.9 shift lever I already had installed, and required some modification to make it fit. The result of the modifications was an even shorter throw than what it was before, somewhere between the distance of a UUC2 and UUC3.
    * Lifted and mounted engine, transmission, and subframe into the vehicle from the bottom of the car. Hooked up ECU and other misc bits and pieces.

01/02/10 - Day 6
    * Installed radiator, coolant hoses, and fuel lines
    * Finished hooking up misc small things to get the engine started
    * Off it went to the exhaust shop - only to get stuck there until Monday!
    * The pictures for Days 5 + 6 are pictures that depict the engine just installed quickly to get to the exhaust shop in time before they closed. Wires will be tidied up and things will be finalized by the time I pick the car up on Monday, such as the HFM and intake boot installed, wiring harness mounted properly, etc. Will take final pics once it's all ready to go.

[ PICS for Days 5 + 6 are in Posts 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, and 38 ]

VIDEO of the first engine startup and subsequent run to the exhaust shop (all without exhaust):

First startup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT32pi_LB6c

Drive to exhaust shop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PF19pTdEM

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]

tiFreak

sounds like a cool project, out of curiosity, what's that bottle filled with antifreeze at the back of the engine bay for? overflow tank for the overflow tank?

Brian A

Thanks for sharing all the gory photographic play-by-play.

... this is going to be fun to watch!...

Arash2002tii guest

Even more fun to do

az3579

That sir, is a genious solution consisting of a Fiji bottle used as an overflow tank.

Hey, your mainly the one who wanted before and after pictures; you along with Chris I should say.
    I only took these pictures because I didn't want him to take back E28 loaner car. :D

TeamStowell We love driving!

I'm very excited to see this project unfold. You should do some updates for the chapter newsletters as you go along. We would love to share it with our members.

granthr

Botond glad to hear the project is now officially underway! :) Just an FYI you can get an engine hoist for about $130. Or try your local Advanced Auto Parts store, they might have one you can borrow or rent. They do lend out special tools.

Keep the pictures coming and I hope you at least wax Chris's E28 for him. :D

Autohaus guest

Now that I have finally seen pics, you haven't been pulling our chain for all this time. Can't wait to see this thing move. Add a turbo kit and take both Lance and Steve :D

az3579

Eh? What do you mean?

Are you insane?????

az3579

Updates for Day 2 (original post updated)

12/29/09 - Day 2
    * Finally separated steering rack - had a hard time disconnecting
    * Lowered engine/tranny with subframe and slid out from under car
    * Separated engine/tranny from subframe
    * Subframe reinforcement kit welded to subframe
    * Maintenance on S50 performed: replaced water pump, thermostat + housing, drive belt, oil filter
    ** Need to replace valve cover gasket (and need to order) - will replace spark plugs when this is done

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

This is not me:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The unofficial retirement mileage of M20B27:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

az3579

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Brian A

... Oh man....

No turning back now.

stevehecht

Way to go, Botond. I can't wait to take a ride with the S50. We're all pulling for you...

az3579

Only problem is that we've just noticed a rust hole next to one of the subframe bolts... is it safe to just weld it or will I need a new subframe???

This is unwelcome and unexpected turn... we'll have to make a decision by the end of the day because otherwise I'll be out of time. :(