Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

steel wheel options for winter tires (e46/e90?)

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mgoldleaf, Dec 28, 2009.

mgoldleaf guest

I am finalizing the purchase of a 330i with sport package (18" run flats).
    I currently have an E46 325i with one season on a set of great Hakkapeliittas.
    I'd like to use the E46 rims and tires on the new E90.
    Can I?

I've checked at TireRack and at BavAuto and none seem to offer a steel wheel. And, there seems to be some conflicting info around using my Hakkapeliitta 205/55-16.

tiFreak

I'm pretty sure they won't fit, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty though it wouldn't hurt to just try them on in the driveway and see if they fit

mgoldleaf guest

Well, that's pretty much what I mean about conflicting info and uninformed responses.
    I've read more "I'm pretty sure they'll fit" than "I'm pretty sure they won't fit"... and "give 'em a try" isn't really helpful either.

I know that they will fit - technically they have the same bolt pattern and it is a smaller wheel/tire combo, so of course it will "fit". But, I am curious about offset, TPS effect, rubbing on the inner frame or wishbones at full lock, speedo differences...

Please, I'm trying to cut down on the speculation here and get an informed response.

kkratoch

A stock 330i (E90) came with 17" wheels. I do not think 16" wheels will fit over the brakes.
    I wanted to do the same thing but ended up buying cheap 17" alloy wheels for the winter with snow tires.

CRKrieger

Since that is apparently not immediately forthcoming, I think it behooves you to be our research leader. If you cannot find the offset information, then I would suggest measuring the wheels in question. I have no idea what "TPS* effect" is. IME, the speedometer error introduced by tire changes is negligible. Do the math and you'll see. Finally, will it rub? Given the near infinite combination of wheel and tire sizes you can put onto your car, "give 'em a try" is likely the best advice you're going to get until there's a lot more experience with these (E9x) cars.

* I know of at least two common uses for this abbreviation: Throttle Position Sensor and Tire Pressure Sensor. I can conceive of no reason either would be affected by your contemplated change.

tiFreak

maybe I can back up my answer a little. there's an E92 330i around my town that currently has it's winter rims on it and they are 17" steelies, higher profile tires are better in winter so the only reason I can think of anyone using those for winter rims is because the brakes won't fit behind the smaller rims

I know for a fact that the offsets would be the same if not very similar though

az3579

OK, hold on a second. There are no E92 330i's. Did you mean 335i? I believe the 335i's had larger brakes than the 330's, which would make sense as to why it would have 17's on it.

mgoldleaf guest

Sorry - I mistyped E92 when I meant E90 (sedan).

For the E90 w/ sport package I see:
    8 x 18 Front
    225/40 R18 -- ET 34

8.5 x 18 Rear
    255/35 R18 -- ET 37

... the offset being 34mm and 37mm

35, 38, 40 & 46mm offsets

The largest difference being 12mm or almost half an inch

Looking at the rolling diameter between the 16" snows and the 18" sports I'd say that they will physically fit if they don't crash the rotors. My question/concern would be the .5" offset difference on wheel bearing load - but going to less offset probably isn't a concern.

/marc

az3579

My last comment was directed towards tiFreak.

If you are unsure what sizes you can get, I highly recommend you give the guys at Tire Rack a call. They know their stuff, so any questions about what sizes of wheel you can fit on your car they should be able to answer, or at least point you in the right direction.

tiFreak

wait, I think so, lol I'll just stop posting in this thread :eek:

mgoldleaf guest

The jury is in - e46 steel wheels will not fit on an e90 w/ sport package.
    There is not enough clearance for the rotors.

In fact, it seems hard enough to find a 17" alloy wheel/tire combo.

Tire Rack 17" and 18"
    http://bit.ly/5OJHd3

Discount Tires Direct - 17" packages:
    http://bit.ly/6Znau3

Discount Tires Direct - 18" packages:
    http://bit.ly/5HKaT9

Whichever direction, plan on spending a minimum of $1,000

Note, BMW offers a package, but it's $750 per corner!

tiFreak

there were some 17" steelies BMW sells for the E36 M3, not sure if you can still get them or if the offset is the same but it's something to look into

pseto

check over on e90post.com. there are always rims/tires for sale as most get rid of their rims like bad milk. at this time of the year, most places like Tire Rack wont have anything in stock because of demand.

BIMMIR guest

tire rack is a good option, you will need to include tps monitors otherwise you will get a fault code or "message" on the info center on the dash that will not clear.

Also, you could check craigslist for an original set of e 90 wheels that someone took off their car. In Maine, there has been 2 sets recently, including the TPS installed.