Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheel Options for 2000 540i Sport?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Meff17, Dec 18, 2009.

Meff17 guest

I am searching for a set of pre-owned winter wheels/tires. Can anyone tell me if 16" or 17" Style 23, M-Contours will fit my 540i Sport from the standpoint of offset and brake clearance? Also, one option I found had tires that were 215/65/R16 which make the OD 27". What is the max. overall diameter that can safely be mounted? Thanks.

tiFreak

you'd have to run at least 20mm spacers with a hub adaptors since the E39 center bore is larger than the bore on those rims, also, BMW never made that rim in a 16" that I know of

az3579

Correct. They only made them in 17".

Sizes are as follows:
    7x17 et41
    7.5x17 et41
    8.5x17 et41

I do not know the center bore, though. You may have to run spacers.

Meff17 guest

Thanks ti and az for the feedback. Very informative. I'll check with my local dealer re: bore and spacer requirements.

edjack guest

Dmarque

Pete540i guest

I love the style 37 wheel for the 540i. Does anuone know where I can score a used set for a non-sport 540i (E39)??

edjack guest

Try ackerwheel.com, in San Jose. They deal only in OEM wheels.

There may be others out there.

Pete540i guest

edjack - the ackerwheel.com link for BMW was a dead link. Tried on both Mozilla and IE. Still searching for a good set of type 37 rims for the E39 540i (non-sport). Cheers.

Dmarque

My first choice too.....There are a lot of after market versions but stay with the true OEM vesion if you can.

edjack guest

Sorry, it's www.ackerwheels.com. Every other time I quote this site, I leave off the plural.

Dmarque

I store my Style 37s during the winter and use Style 66s for winter shoes. Well, I recently struggled to get a set of true OEM Style 66s. I eventually relented and bought them from my dealer. Now, there are a number of posted wheel sites who advertise having both Style 66 and Style 37 OEM wheels but each time I contacted them they reported that they are out of stock. I sure don't want any weak structure reproductions......!!

I eventualy contacted my dealer and he located a brand new in the box mint set of OEM Style 66 wheels for $329 ea in less than 3 days. Not a bad price I thought but not the low price you're seeing on these web sites but HEY...I got 'em!! Anyway, here is a site boasting that they have OEM's and reproductions. Give it a try and see how you do. After about 10 or so experiences that lead nowhere....try your dealer. He just might give you a reasonable price. Don't forget to mention that you are a CCA member! OEM's are worth the additional price.

Wheel# A-59438U20, Reconditioned Replacement Rim for 2003 BMW 5 SERIES

Size: 18" x 8"
    Finish: SILVER (OEM RIM)
    Style: ALLOY WHEEL, 18 X 8, 10 SPOKE, STYLE #37
    Dealer Wheel Price: $598.00
    Discount Wheel Price: $229.00

Wheel Type: Genuine Reconditioned Wheel for BMW Vehicle "New Replacement Quality"