Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Will Style 290 Wheels fit on a 2009 sDrive35i Z4?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dszpiro, Dec 14, 2009.

dszpiro

Will Style 290 Wheels fit on a 2009 sDrive35i Z4? YES!

I recently tried to move the winter tires and wheels that I used on my 2007 Z4 onto my 2009 sDrive 35i Z4 and I found that these 17" wheels did not fit. The problem was only on the front: the brake caliper is rubbing against the wheel.

I have been told that the 2009 sDrive35i has larger front brakes than the 2009 sDrive 30i and previous Z4 models. I was looking at purchasing a set of Style 290 wheels from someone who just took these standard 17" wheels off of his 2009 sDrive30i and now I don't know if they'll fit on the front of my car.

Does anyone have specific definitive information on this topic? I'd love to know if the Style 290 17" wheels will fit on a 2009 sDrive35i or not.

TIA,
    Danny

dszpiro

Well, about two dozen people have read this post but no replies yet. Let me update you on my research. Unfortunately, it solves nothing.

The BMW Canada web site is current advertising a winter tires and wheels package for 2009 and later model Z4 cars. Interestingly, the package does not differentiate between the 30i and 35i. The recommended package uses Style 290 wheels.

Problem solved, right? Wrong. :( Elsewhere on the BMW Canada web site one can shop for accessories. If you say that you're looking for accessories for a 2009 and on Z4 and look at the 17" wheels, the 290 is listed, but the listing specifically states that the Style 290 wheels are not for use on the 35i. So, it seems that this official web site contains contradictory information.

The same information is not available on the BMW USA web site. I could not locate a telephone number for BMW Canada in order to call them and discuss this contradictory information. I called a BMW dealer in Canada (Otto's in Ottawa) to see if they could end this problem but that didn't help either. The Parts Department indicated that the front rotors for the 30i and 35i were indeed different parts (supporting the hypothesis that the wheel intended for the 30i may not fit on the 35i), but went on to say that their catalog (published by BMW Canada) indicated that the winter tire/wheel package for all E89 models used the Style 290 wheel.

Curiouser and curisouer.

I'll keep trying to dig into this tomorrow. Perhaps I will be able to get a number for BMW Canada if I keep looking.

dszpiro

Update: The BMW UK site also indicates that the Style 290 wheels are not for the sDrive 35i.

dszpiro

I have tried to do some digging around regarding the rotor sizes on the 2009 35i and 30i. Once again, various web sites disagree. Some describe the 30i as having 11.8" rotors all around and the 35i as having 13.7" rotors in the front and 12.8" in the rear (http://www.autotropolis.com/2009/bmw/z4/310070/specs.html). Oddly, another site lists both as having 12.8" in the fron and 11.6" in the rear (http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/2009/bmw/z4/__base__/specs.html).

Want more? AutoPartsWarehouse.com and DiscountBrakes.com both show 300mm (~11.8") Brembo rotors for both 2009 30i and 35i models (Part No. B3935604).

Sheesh. :confused:

If someone with access to real BMW specs can weigh-in on this it would be much appreciated.

TIA.

dszpiro

Mystery solved!

I thought I'd post one more message into this thread with the answer to my own question.

Yes: Style 290 BMW wheels will fit on a 2009 E89 Z4 sDrive35i. :D

I purchased set of 290 wheels earlier today and I can report from direct personal experience that the wheels work on my 35i. I hope this information / confirmation is helpful for others looking at various wheel options.

az3579

Thank you for keeping those with new Z4's informed. Enjoy your new wheels! :D

I'm sure others have your same frustration. More than a few of us, have one or two sets of wheels that we would like to part with from previous BMW's It would be wonderful if there was a compilation of wheel sizes, including offsets, for all BMW models

I'm assuming that wheel styles are available in multiple sizes and offsets

tiFreak

I know there's a better one out there but I can't find it right now, this is pretty comprehensive though

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/

speldog guest

Any luck?

Hi there. I found your research back in spring/summer from last year very helpful but not entirely getting me the answer I need. Thank you for getting me this far though.

I have 2 sets of wheels from an E53 X5 that I'm wondering about fittting my wife's new E83 X3.

On the car currently is style 192. I have sitting on the shelf styles 57 and 93 from an old X5.

Did you eventually find a database or othjer means of cross referencing hub size, bolt pattern, and any other fit issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to get her some snowies for when we take deliver of the E83 this week.

Mike in Boston

dszpiro

Sorry, I have not found a comprehensive database that addresses the question regarding which BMW wheels fit on which BMW cars.

Good luck,

tiFreak

this site is pretty helpful
    http://www.kalach.easynet.be/

it doesn't mention centerbore diameters but you could always look that up yourself since you'd know what car they came on