Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Power windown auto-up inop

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by dbauldjr, Dec 11, 2009.

dbauldjr guest

I have a 2000 328Ci. Everything worked great until i had some work done on my car. I had the seal where the top of the window slides up against replaced because it looked worn out and had some whistling when on the highway. I had some work done on my car so I had the shop replace it. When I got my car back I noticed that the passenger side window's Auto-Up function did not work. My buddy informed me that there is a sensor button device that detects if there is something caught in between the window and the car. He said he had the same issue as mine and that the shop did not hook the it up right. I contacted the shop and they said they hooked it up right and that it is a relay that is bad. They came to this conclusion because when you open the door it goes down but when you close the door the window does not go up. Sometimes it goes up sometimes is does not go up when the car is off. I dont know who is right or if both of them are wrong. Any ideas?

BMWCCA1

I'm far from an expert on any BMW past the introduction of OBD-II, other than I've learned to stay away from them! I do recall hearing of an initialization procedure for the windows that is required whenever power is interrupted as in battery disconnect. We had to do the same on the E34 dual sunroofs every time one would come back from a repair involving disconecting the battery. I believe it involves holding the window switch against the "up" position for a period of time. A quick Google search brought this:

dbauldjr guest

I have tried that procedure and it wasn't sucessful :( Is there a relay for the window?

myoung

This issue requires a trip to your dealer or a shop. Sorry.

bcweir

Wow, my how times have changed.

On my car (a 1988 BMW 750iL), a faulty window regulator means disconnecting the battery and pulling the door card to replace the window regulator. On my car it's a DIY job that takes an hour or two.

Now it requires a trip to the dealer? I can understand that. These days there's no telling what you might accidentally disable on these newer cars by trying to DIY a repair on them. Oh my Lord. Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out.