Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 for poor conditions

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by Rupp, Dec 8, 2009.

Rupp guest

I am considering trading my Toyota Landcruiser for something newer, and a bit smaller. I am considering both the 2010 X5 35d and a new VW Toureg. The current BMW diesel incentive, plus my club benefit brings the two cars to within $10,000 of each other (the VW is also heavily discounted).

Ultimately, as long as the X5 will tow an enclosed trailer with two motorcycles and gear ( should always be less than 5000 lbs.), the lower towing capacity is OK. I live in the NorthEast, and a few times a year, I have appreciated the locking center differential on the Toyota, and the low range. I have read that the X5 is not especially capable off road.

All else being equal (or even close), I'd go for the better on road handling of the BMW. Can I depend on it to get through deep snow, or dirt roads in wet, muddy or snowy conditions. I don't need rock climbing capabilities, but I do need to know I can go anywhere, anytime.

Thanks.

mkc1860

bad conditions 09 x5 35d

I can not reply as to towing, but I live in northern Iowa. Last winter I had no problems in up to 10 inches of fresh snow. Steep driveway, gravel roads have been no problem. Last summer we went to the 4 corners area and decided to be brave (stupid/adventurous) and drive to and area in canyonlands NP in Utah. It was a dry dirt road with multiple 180 degree switchbacks that descended about 800 feet, nearly straight down. The descent control worked like a charm and nearly never touched the brake. We were following a land cruiser. Drove across a large wash area and over a single small creek and had no missteps down or back up. Felt very safe. I do not know if I would want to take it through anything deep, the plastic front and rear pieces may not make the trip, but for deep snow/ice and the trip down the canyonlands 4x4 road, we had no problem.