Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Techron Concentrate Plus is fixing my fuel gauge

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 330indy1, Dec 5, 2009.

Dmarque

Ed:

Since the fuel tanks are each of different volume am I to assume that measurement per gallon of fuel is not that important? My 5er fuel tank is 18 gal....I would assume that 3 and 7 Series tanks are different than mine....So quantity of Techron per gallon is not that important of a factor?

Thanks!

Mark

eam3

Well...

I'm sure there is a "proper" way to measure how much to use but my dad just pops one bottle in per tankful on the E32 and his previous E23, E30s, and E36. He has yet to use it on my mom's 335i but the car is too new and hasn't really shown a need for any additive.

WT Rondo

I've been adding Techron (1 bottle every third tankful) to my E30 (325i) w/211K miles for the last couple of years and find it keeps the engine running smoothly, and no problems w/the fuel readings. The best source I've found is Costco where they sell it by the case.

Kip

Dmarque

Kips, thanks for the Costco tip. I'll definitely check it out for prices. I paid $7.99/bottle last week I wonder how much more I am paying at that price. As for scheduling Techron additive.......I've decided that even though I use Shell Premium regularly I think I am going to begin to use Techron once each quarter...Jan 15-April 15-July 15-Oct. 15 and see how it goes. I've personally never had a concern with any fuel issues despite never adding Techron in the past.

JDiazAmador

I saw the same product at my local Costco (Burbank CA), but it does not say "Techron" even though it looks the same and is a Chevron product.

Does anyone know the difference, or is it just a less concentrated version of Techron? It says you can use it every 1k miles.

The price cannot be beat. A case of six for about 1.5x the cost of one bottle.

JDiazAmador

Octane?

I've noticed that the highest octane rating available in California is 91. I remember seeing 93 back in Florida. Is it a different way of rating the AKI?

Are any of the commercially available (as in auto-parts store) octane boosters any good? Or are they all bad news?

Dmarque

330indy1

so how's it going?