Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bavaria Turn Signal Question

Discussion in 'E3 "New 6", 2500, 2800, Bavaria 3.0S & 3.0Si (1968' started by budascribe23, Nov 16, 2009.

budascribe23 guest

I have a 73 Bavaria. My left and right turn signal recently stopped working. The hazard flashers still work. I checked the fuses but they don't seemed burned out (I have yet to replace them). What are the chances both fuses would burn out simultaneously? Could it possibly be a problem in the steering column or something else I'm overlooking? Also would the ceramic fuses used be easy to locate? I am a newbie so thanks for you patience and help!

CRKrieger

Check the fuses first, and use a meter to do it. These fuses can be burned through without looking like it. Beyond that, I would start at the column switches, if both flashers stopped at the same time.

I forget where the Bavaria's fusebox is, but it's #4 here:

[IMG]

BMWCCA1

You might also check to see if the signals will work with the hazard button in another position. Turn on the ignition and a turn-signal. Then push in slowly on the hazard button and release it slowly to see if there is any position along the travel of the button that will allow the turn-signal to engage other than the 4-ways. If I remember correctly, the signals run through the flasher switch and the switch was always a week point. I recall jamming the tapered end of a plastic cable tie in between the hazard button and it's housing to lock it into a spot where the signals would operate. Maybe your problem is as simple as a new flasher switch. It's worth checking out.

I don't even recall if the L and R signals have their own fuses but I don't think the 4-ways would work if the fuses were bad. It's always a good idea on the older BMWs to rotate the fuses in their contacts to ensure a good connection. If they feel loose, pull the fuse and tighten the contacts. If the fuse filament is stretched, distorted, or just looks fragile, replace it. Often the "caps" on the fuse ends will fall off when you remove them showing you that what looked like a good connection in-place was really not.

Good luck.

CSBM5

The fusebox on an E3 is behind the pop down panel on the left of steering wheel. Push the button, drop down the panel and look up in there. At least that is where it was on my '72 Bavaria. I would check/replace all the fuses if they are more than a few years old, but I think if the flashers work that might not be the problem as stated above.

CSBM5

BMWCCA1

I'm guessing one says "Hazard" on it and the other has a triangle instead-or nothing.

budascribe23 guest

Thanks for you're quick reply and info. I was checking out the turn signal again and noticed when there is no key in the ignition and I hit the turn signal the appropriate signal (up-left and down-right) will stay on though with no blinking action. However when I turn the ignition there is no signal at all. DOes this help diagnose the problem as the relay rather than the fuse? Also where on the Bavaria is the relay located? Is the column switch something easy to replace? Thanks again!

Cheers

BMWCCA1

That's the normal parking-light function for double-parking or parking on the curb in Europe and it's working properly. It has nothing to do with the turn-signal relay since the relay controls the flashing. I'm still going for your hazard switch since that will flash the lights and uses the relay, but the relay should be up under the dash by the hood release, or thereabouts as best I can remember. I never owned a Bavaria but all my 2002s and E28s have it there. Turn on your hazard flasher and follow the clicking noise. You'll find it!

Did you try fiddling with the hazard switch button position yet? ;)

CSBM5

My reference to two switches was because they show two P/Ns based on build date. Oh, wait, I see, you're referring to how to potentially see the difference on the switch to determine which one it is. I seem to recall the one in my 72 saying Hazard on it, but it's been a looong time.

CSBM5

I'm trying to dig into long unused memory cells here, but I'm pretty sure the turn signal relay is up under that same area around the fuse box, and the more I think about it, I think I had to replace mine somewhere around the mid-80s.

I'm pretty sure it is not under the hood anywhere (EDIT: well, not "real" sure, lol). There are three relays under the hood as I recall (and you can see in this pic down below of my Bav in the upper middle -- the two round cases next to the rectangular one). I know one of those round ones is the intermittent wiper relay, and I do recall replacing the rectangular one as you can see it is newer than OE in this picture. Dangit, now that I think about it, I can't be sure that wasn't the turn signal relay I had to replace!! Wait, I think that rectangular one was the voltage regulator now that I think about it some....

Sorry my memory is so fuzzy on the details as I guess not thinking about this for 25 years has done in my recall for the moment. :)

[IMG]

BMWCCA1

I believe both p/n on realOEM are applicable to the '73 Bavaria we're talking about here and that the difference is in how the button is labeled. I seem to recall a FMVSS change that required the flasher switch to be illuminated when the headlights were on and those had a little resistor on the back by the plug. I'm not certain but that change likely pre-dates "Bavaria" production. The same part numbers are used on 2002s with the more expensive choice indicated for cars after '73MY. I can check the yard-cars but I'm pretty sure that's only a cosmetic change to the labeling of the button.

[IMG] ;)

[IMG] [IMG]

budascribe23 guest

Thanks

Hey thanks for all the tips. I actually ended up replacing the turn signal fuses (5/6/12) 1st and located a minor break in the 12th fuse and voila, turn signal is flashing again!!! I do appreciate all the time and knowledge you were able to share and will be ever more prepared the next time.

Cheers

D

BMWCCA1

May your problems always be so simple!

:)

CSBM5

Good deal! I would go ahead and replace all the fuses with new ones and use some steel wool or sandpaper to clean the contacts for each fuse on the box -- might go a long way to warding off future issues.

I assume you're familiar with realoem.com. Use the archive section there to hunt for parts you might need for the Bav. Also, for everyone here, if you use Firefox, installing Greasemonkey and then the script linked in this thread will get you direct links within the display of the realoem parts pages to Tischer, Crown and others for heavily discounted parts. No more copying part number and then going to the other sites and pasting, waiting, etc. ;)

Cheers,