Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Actively looking for another E30.....

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by z31maniac, Nov 3, 2009.

BIMMIR guest

Don't bash bronzit cars. Grandma probably took good care of that car!
    :D

z31maniac guest

Hey it took me 6 months to build mine, so I know, I'm just saying everyone habitually underestimates the cost of doing it right. But just read through your post, it's very ego-centric. TO YOU, a clean well maintained E30 with some nice mods may not be worth $4k, but they are to many people. And many people are willing to travel (like me). I will be flying out to Newark in two weeks to drive back my new Sterling silver '91 318is, back to Tulsa, OK. Going to try to drink RedBull and make it non-stop. Only 1350 miles!

E30 M3s do rock, no doubt about it. I'd love to have one but they are quickly approaching and will soon be passing the $20k rule. (It either takes $20k to buy a nice one, or you will spend up to that getting one into shape) An S14 rebuild can cost TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS by an experienced pro. Lots of parts (like calipers and carriers) are NLA. A front strut tube is $900, front wheel bearings are $300+ (although you can use E28 bearings and switch the ABS ring). It's just not a car that would make a good daily driver IMHO.

And to the BOLD section, again man, you need to learn to work on your cars.

az3579

Once again, I was talking about a stock E30. A modded one (depends on mods) will put it at that much.

I'm not gonna sign my own death warrant by getting under my car on jackstands on the street. Here in Bridgeport, that's just like begging someone to shoot you in the face, because you will get hit! How nice it would be to at least have a useable driveway...

CRKrieger

... but not me! I leave ze sorry Bronzit-infested E30 of Senor Garrison in ze dust! :D

MGarrison

You would be AMAZED at how much faster you would be if your car was Bronzit! :D

BIMMIR guest

Do you have DINAN bronzit paint?

MGarrison

Are you kidding?! I can't afford that kind of unobtanium!

az3579

Buying the highest end Bronzit isn't nearly as good as just the economical version of Brilliantrot. :D
    You're better off with the Brilliantrot...

CRKrieger

I dunno, man. I'm thinkin' that shiny white has gotta have a lot less wind resistance than flat Bronzit (after all the clear coat peels off). :p

BTW, sorry about that 'butt dial' this morning. I have absolutely no idea how it happened. I was barely awake.

Elkoholic

Second the gloss white...Alpine is impervious to air resistance, without a doubt.

MGarrison

I just can't drive a car whose color ends in R-O-T! :p

There you go thinking logically again, AS IF there were any OTHER factor related to pure speed BESIDES color! :p &, the inside of the trunk lid has perfect clearcoat! Y'see, it's the inner beauty that counts! :D

lol - ditto! I didn't figure that I was the _one_ person you would be calling in an emergency where you were verbally incapacitated; I would have expected to start hearing s-o-s tapped out.... and wondering why, in such a situation, if you were calling me, you wouldn't just dial 9-1-1! ;)

z31maniac guest

Man up! We did my build in a dirt/gravel driveway!

mrl325i

$6,000 several years ago. Trouble-free, fun, and worth every penny. Not expensive to buy or keep, IMO.

az3579

With enough cars parked there to not have enough space to park there without hanging out onto the sidewalk? On a busy street, where cops frequently patrol? Where I'll get a ticket for hanging out onto the sidewalk? Where there's no place for everyone else to park if they were to vacate the driveway?

Right. :p

BIMMIR guest

Great car - also love the plate!

ACM1899 guest

Im starting to really love the look of the sedans as well.

What sites do you search when looking for a e30?

mrl325i

Thanks. Now I get to buy another plate to make up for the govt's inability to operate within its means. Thanks, NY!

z31maniac guest

Check your local craigslist, R3Vlimited.com, E30tech.com are good places to start. I found my Bronzit car last year on bimmerforums.

The one I'm going to pick up next week I found on R3V, but had the guys at GutenParts up in NJ go pick it up for me down in Virginia. They are in the process of doing some more mods (mostly comfort/aesthetic) and some more maintenance.

z31maniac guest

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=154504

Here is the car I picked up. Sterling Silver '91 318is.

Super clean, hell of a fun little car to drive. Only going to do a few things to it.

Decent stereo, Euro trim, nice wheels (probably BBS RSs), and hopefully find a set of houndstooth sport seats to match the door cards.

My Bronzit with S52 is going up for sale once I get the reman'd head with Stage 1 DR Vanos kit on it. Going to pay some stuff off and look to build another E30 in spring 2011.

Most likely with an LSx.

az3579

You've got the bug. :D