Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Quickie question..

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by edcolandra, Oct 23, 2009.

edcolandra guest

Buying a slightly used hardtop for my wife's E46 vert. I've inquired to my dealer and have yet to hear anything back. Are there parts I need to buy and bring ( I have to bring that top home on the car) and dont want to worry about it bouncing off on the Pennsylvania turnpike?

So just to get get it, say about 50 miles, what if anything do I need to buy..?

There is a kit under realoem/bmw called the Hardtop Prep kit but it looks like only 2 bolts or assemblies and retail is about $186. It is Item #2 if you go to the website PN 54217146749.

Here's the link:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BW33&mospid=47706&btnr=54_0259&hg=54&fg=95

Appreciate any advice to a RETURNING CCA member...

Ed in NJ

EuroWerkz1

It is hard to tell from that illustration, I would find a better dealer to look it up in depth. I don't have any experience on the 3 series but on the Z3 the hardware kit is mandatory as it contains some special bolts. If I recall the illustrations also didn't show much.

I'd rent a pick-up for the the day to bring it home if it were me.

Good luck,

CRKrieger

Good advice from Doug - unless you don't really mind taking that trip a second time to pick up the top after you know you have all the right fasteners. ;)

sgrabina guest

i would check with the person selling it first to see if they used it on their e46 you shouldnt need to purchase any extra parts unless some parts are missing or broken from the top you are purchasing. if they are negotiate a better price.