Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Enginer running rough

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by seapbmw, Oct 12, 2009.

seapbmw

Last week I tried starting our 2003 325xit (130k miles, regularly serviced) and it just clicked like the battery was dead. All the interior lights, radio and daytime running lights were on but I suspected weak battery. After leaving it on a trickle charger for 7 days I came home and found the same issue, just click-click-click when I tried to start it. I found a loose negative battery cable, retightened it and finally got it to turn over by holding the key on but then it ran very rough, like it was running on 5 cylinders. The SES light was on when I backed out of the driveway and never went off; I pulled back in when the engine kept running rough.

Any ideas as what is going on? Could a weak battery cause this? Looking at Bentley it looks like an emissions fault, how can this be cleared?

CRKrieger

I'm going with DEAD battery. How old is it?

seapbmw

The battery is 7 years so its overdue.

A funny thing happened this morning, the car started with my wife's key. Could it be a key battery issue?