Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New M3 Engine Break In?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by wanesso, Apr 2, 2008.

cougarclaws guest

I feel kinda obsessed. Searching for new articles on the net, looking at the brochure. I guess I should brace myself for not sleeping for a couple weeks AFTER I get the car as well. It seems like it has been enroute for decades.

wanesso

obsessed

welcome to my world!
    I've never had a car like this.....

lugnut guest

Hey CC you get your break-in done yet? The car really comes alive above 6000 rpm. It sounds great stock, but I can't wait for the Eisenmann Race exhaust to really liven up the low end sounds....

Start scouting for bridges and tunnels so you can downshift and hear the sounds bouncing off the walls!

cougarclaws guest

I got mine yesterday!!!! Sleepless night one and up til 2:30 AM reading the manuals....This car is sexy! The Sparkling Graphite Metallic surprised us all! The carbon fiber roof blends beautifully. I thought I may have made a mistake....Then I saw it. Now I'm driving it! 190 miles on it since yesterday. It had 8 when I picked it up. This car rocks! I love the sound, still can't go over the 5500 RPM, but it sounds so sweet.

cougarclaws guest

What an awesome car. I like it much better than my 03 E46. I can choose how I want it to handle and ride, and it sticks like glue.

wanesso

Congratulations!

I still feel that way about this car, still walk into the garage to gaze, still look back every time I've parked just to see him. We are in phase II breakin now----can cruise at 6500rpm---it sounds like an airplane going down the runway iwhen you ramp up to speed if the ecoustics are just right---and the Valentine One has now officially saved my license........................

cougarclaws guest

Can't wait to get past the 5500 restriction. I too just go stare at mine. Even after having my first one, I am still this way with the second. Keep me up to date with how the rest of your fun and breakin go!

I wonder what people think when they see me look back at mine multiple times when I have to park in the back of a lot?

And in case I forgot Congratulations on your baby as well!!!!

az3579

I think we all do that at times as Bimmer owners.

So, who cares what people think. They don't think the same way we do...
    ... and THAT's what matters. :D

Jbeene guest

I just returned from my delivery voyage (1000km) and have what could be a newbie, worry wart question....

The car says service is due soon - make an appointment. This started at 1200 km.

I was really conscious of varying the revs up and down between 2000 and 4500 rpm and did my best to make sure the revs didn't sit in one place for too long. Geared up and down dropping down to 80 km/h and steadily shifting up and down to keep revs all over the place. So I feel OK about having a new engine on the highway because there was no steady state cruising - it was alot of extra work.

The oil level is fine, hasn't indicated a drop at all.

Should I be concerned that it is asking for its service already or is this just a normal reminder?

I broke my 335i in this way and it was totally fine. I changed the oil at 2000 anyway even though it indicated it had 20,000 km to service:eek:

az3579

This service is a break-in service. I don't know if it's supposed to be 1200km, but I think people here do it at 1200mi.

lugnut guest

Yeah, in the US the 1200 mile service is mandatory on all M cars. In fact, if you miss it here BMW NA may void your warranty. All the fluids are drained and analyzed, supposedly to make certain that everything is functioning properly. Until this service you should keep it under 5500rpm and 105mph, which it sounds like you've been doing, so i don't foresee a problem.

Here in the USA the service is free of charge, so it wasn't a big deal.

Jbeene guest

The Canadian cars get it at 2000km according to the sticker on the windshield. I was just a little surprised it was asking for it so early but I'm thinking maybe its just the cbs settings. The oil reading in the i-drive is yellow. So probably not a big deal, just a reminder to make sure I do it I'm guessing.

Have had it up to 5500 a few times now. What a car! I can't wait until it is fully broken in.

The handling is so much sharper than the 335i, though the ride is a little rougher. My son said he bounced off his seat when we hit a bump today.

Made me think of a tv ad for the original Pathfinder where there was a kid in a baby seat in the back while the old man launched the Pathfinder off a dune in the desert. The kid was wearing a helmet and holding and ice cream cone. When they landed the scoop fell off the cone. Good add.

wanesso

New Babies

congratulations on your new M3 Jbeene! I have the jerez black coupe, still stare back at it when I park and it now has 13,000 miles (got it in April)---you've probably already figured out that it is 1200 miles, not kilometers--and it reminds you early. After 13,000 miles I have only added 1/2 quart of oil and it has had some hard driving. I'm now trying to figure out when my next check up/oil change is.....I think not until 15,000. After it's broken in----and you can really use it---discover the "M" settings and power button and it's like you have a whole other new car inside this one!:D

wanesso

oil levels

...and another issue that lugnut pointed out on these cars---that oil level indicator isn't perfect on the details---if you get the light telling you that your level is down----start adding a small volume--like 1/4 to 1/2 quart because it gets upset if you add too much.....and as many have pointed out, there is no dipstick.:cool:

Jbeene guest

Thanks for the advice, this is sure different than the days when I had a 2002tii!

I'm with you on how good the cars look. I went an opened the garage door last night and took a peek before I went to bed. My wife thinks I am nuts but she's not jealous yet...

In these parts a JB M3 sedan is relatively rare. I haven't seen another one yet, most of them are white, sparkling, Interlagos or silver. Was speaking with another BMW fan in town and he figured there must be no more than 15 sedans. Tons of coupes though. I always had the feeling my 335i was a bit of a belly button car (most everyone has one). not the case with this beauty at all.

I've wanted the blue/black color since they came out with Carbon Black on the e46 M3.

An M3 exactly to my specs has been a very long term goal for me so I'm thrilled to finally have one.

Today I will undertake some major modifications...applying the, BMW Car Club of Canada and BMW Car Club of Southern Alberta stickers to the rear driver and passenger window.

I put the full Dinan S2 package on my 335i but this car is going to stay bone stock, exception may be the Eisenmann exhaust.

The BMWCCA sticker seems to be MIA, can't remember what I did with it!

wanesso

still rare here!

Believe it or not, in the 7 months I've been driving this car daily, back and forth to work total of 50 mile commute), on every road trip, I have yet to see a single NEW M3 out there in the greater Syracuse NY area (except at Oktoberfest--saw one[/I that was not a demo. He attracts alot of attention still because of that--people love those 19" wheels and perforated brake discs...... I will be a bit bummed when I do see another around here:rolleyes:

cougarclaws guest

Failure to comply with the 1200 mile check is grounds for BMW to revoke the warranty. This is the one service they are most concerned with. Take the car in immediately if this is your first service. It iwll be noted in your car history if you go too long after the first service.

Jbeene guest

I'm 800 km under the requirement, if I go in now they'll probably tell me to come in at 2000.

If they voided my warranty for not getting it serviced 800km before the servie was due I'd sue their a$$es.

lugnut guest

JBeene, congrats on the ride. Seriously, wait till you take it above 5500rpm..... nothing sounds like a V8 spinning @ 7500rpm.

I had my 1200 mile service done around 1050, and they were fine with it. Damn Wanesso, 13k....you finally passed me (I'm @ 9200 now, and I had it a month before you)!

I have only seen 3 other M3's in NJ. One is a middle aged woman that has my car (space gray/fox red coupe), one is a guy in my car club (space gray coupe), and the other is an employee at JMK BMW (white sedan).

I wish I knew that Jerez Black was as cool looking as it turned out. I thought that it was just a black w/ a ton of flake in it (when I spec-ed my car in January '08 they weren't even on the US website yet). I saw a local audio shop working on a Jerez Coupe, and god-damn that color looks good, especially w/ Fox Red.

If you go for the Eisenmann exhaust, go for the "sport" version. The "race" is awesome sounding, but loud as hell. I gotta believe that would were on you after awhile. The "sport" version is the TUV approved version, so the decibel level has to be the same as the stock, but the difference in tone makes it sound much better.

Now if only it didn't take 12 weeks and nearly $5k for an Eisenmann system :)

NTR guest

Sedan's

Congrats. My first post here. I also purchased the 08 in sedan trim, JB paint, with all the trimmings. Love the car. In the inland northwest, I know they have sold a handful of M3's but I have the only sedan around other than the demo the dealer had.

Thanks to everyone on their experiences so far. Very helpful. It's my first BMW. Hell, all I own are clunky SUV's for the snow. Even in sedan trim, it gets tons of attention, from local law enforcement too. It is just too damn difficult to "not listen to that engine sing" at the upper rpm range. The first time after break-in, I was shocked watching the needle race toward 8K, but it's sooooooo worth it.