Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wet drivers side floor

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by danholm, Oct 2, 2009.

danholm

05' X3. After parked outside in some moderately heavy rain, I noticed the floor on drivers side was wet. There were some leaves near the under hood drains. I clean these out from time to time when parked outside, and pay attention to the drain tubes to make certain nothing is clogging them. Nothing seemed to be clogged. However even if they were, would water seep into the cabin?

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Dan

frankkapitan guest

Wet driver side back seat wet floor

2005 X3 After heavy rains I find substantial water (2-3 quarts) at a time, only in the foot well in the driver side back seat.
    After sitting in the back seat in rain, to find the leak, it seems that the water is seeping in through the top door seal, down around the inside door frame an under the carpet in the rear left corner. The car is parked on a slight incline so that the driver side is higher than the passenger side. I am noting this because I am not sure, yet if the water leak is also present when the car is parked on level ground.
    My guess is that the leak is caused by faulty (dried out??) seal around the door.
    Any suggestions as to the cause and repair?

Thanks,

Frank

danholm

Frank,
    2-3 quarts is a lot! My was simply damp. I do know BMW has a seal product. Maybe this product would soften the seals and hold off leaking. That's the best I can do.

Dan

carnellmosley

My 2005 X3 leaked water in the same places (drivers side and rear passenger drivers side floor). I think the following is what fixed it. The dealer replaced a seal/barrier that is inside the door that keeps water from draining from inside the the door to the inside of the car. It took a couple of trips to get it right but it is working.

Michael Bee guest

for all of these issues, it will be the panoramic s/r drains. They get clooged quite often. If you do NOT have a s/r then.... well.... I dunno. :)

CDierickx guest

Leaky X3

I have a 3005 X3 that has leaked twice. When it happens and I drive it, it sounds like I'm in a row boat on a choppy day. The dealer has replaced the vapor/moisture barriers in 3 doors (I assume the 4th will need to be done as well and perhaps the hatch). Also cleaned out the drains in the sunroof.

I called BMW to tell them about it - I assume this doesn't meet BMW quality standards any more than it meets my expectations. I spoke to a very condescending young man who didn't seem interested in my feedback.

Others?

QUOTE=Dan Holm;30688]05' X3. After parked outside in some moderately heavy rain, I noticed the floor on drivers side was wet. There were some leaves near the under hood drains. I clean these out from time to time when parked outside, and pay attention to the drain tubes to make certain nothing is clogging them. Nothing seemed to be clogged. However even if they were, would water seep into the cabin?

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Dan[/QUOTE]

echanda

I had the same problem with the rear driver side door in my 2004 X3. I had the vapor/moisture barriers replace and it solved the problem, mostly. Now it only happens when I take it through the car wash.

bcweir

My guesses would be either that your sunroof seals are bad....

...or the sunroof drains are clogged (possibly on both sides, but definitely on your driver's side)

I now have the same problem - wet carpets at the front passenger side and rear driver's side. I understand cleaning the drains just behind the front wheels (under the car) will solve the problem. Any additonal information will be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Staff

steven s

Cleaning drains is definitely one thing to look at.
    Also may be a loose vapor seal in the door.

charlson89

both what he said above. Most likely a drain issue may be a good time to clean the sunroof tracks as well.