Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lifter/Tappet Noise- 2000 M

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by Stevewill1959, Sep 26, 2009.

Stevewill1959 guest

I'm getting a tappet noise when I start my 2000 M. The odd thing is, it is not consistent. The car can sit over night or for long periods and no noise. Or, it may tick after a short down time and do so a couple of times. You never know! The noise quietens after a couple minutes/miles. Car has 42,500 miles and runs strong. It just has this tick or no tick thing happening. Any advice welcomed.

BMWtoyz guest

I have a 98 M raodster and have never had noisy lifters, I do use Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaner every third tank full (over kill, most likely but I want to be safe). Are you using a Top Tier fuel? I would try some injector cleaner and see how that works, can't hurt.

Stevewill1959 guest

Thanks. I'll try the Rediline SI-1. You are right, it can't hurt. It's unusual how this tick is so random. I drove the car this morning and no hint of the tick.