Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

steering wheel for E91?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by breadman, Sep 25, 2009.

breadman

I have an E91 touring without the sport package, and I hate my steering wheel, and I'm considering making a swap for a leather steering wheel. BMW offers more than one steering wheel, here's one example: http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_bmw/servlet/navigateDetails.do?language=en&nscId=1010&localePath=/COM/en&ts=1253899208617&from=2&fromList=true&nav=11&absoluteNav=1

I'm interested to know if there is perhaps a less expensive source of replacement steering wheels, eBay vendors for example, that anyone could recommend. Also, if anyone else has done anything like this I'd love to read about their experiences, pointers, etc.

az3579

I agree; the stock steering wheel in the E90/91's are repulsive. They look disgusting and I don't know who designed it but he/she should really have gotten scolded by management for such a hideous thing.

Definitely check eBay. I see quite a few sport steering wheels for sale on there, some without airbags and buttons (makes it cheaper), so you should be able to reuse certain things. Judging by the pictures, it looks like the buttons can be swapped in from yours, but I'm not too sure about the airbag.

BIMMIR guest

I'm pretty sure that converting from a non sport wheel to a sport wheel requires a new air bag. Sorry - that becomes the most expensive part.

My favorite BMW wheel is the sport package wheel on the 135i. It's small, it's thick, it's perferated, it's curved in all the right places. To quote one of Jerry Sienfleld's girlfriends: "They're real and they're specatcular."

Giddy-Up.

fshubert

How about having the dealer replace it for the Sport steering wheel? With paddle shifters it's nice. I can't see that costing too much.

pseto

swapping the non-sport steering wheel to the sport steering wheel REQUIRES a new air bag. this will be the majority of the cost. you can find a ton of sport sheels w/ NO airbag on e90post.

tturedraider

Even a non-sport steering wheel is leather wrapped.

Joeb427 guest

I changed out my sport wheel for a M-Tech .
    Thicker feel and looks great.
    The non sport wheel is awful in feel and look.
    If you change a non sport wheel,you'll need an airbag,multifuction buttons and trim cover.
    You can find a OEM sport steering wheel or M Sport on for sale sections of BMW forums.
    Tischer has the wheel for $385,Airbag $680,Multifunction buttons $95 and cover plate $41.
    Very expensive changeover.
    I bought my wheel on Ebay from a vendor in Sweden.I have paddles and it's tough to find a M Sport wheel with paddle used.
    Just make sure if you buy an airbag on Ebay that it has the airbag bracket because you can't buy the airbag bracket alone from BMW and you'll get stuck with that airbag.

Here's a pic of the M Sport wheel I have.

[IMG]

breadman

Ehhhhhhh... If my steering wheel is wrapped in leather, it is a particularly awful leather that does a fantastic imitation of synthetic material. But REGARDLESS of what it is made of, it has an unpleasant, perpetually dry texture, and the wheel is too skinny in the grip. It's not about the prestige of one material over another. My current wheel is uncomfortable in the grip, and physically unpleasant to touch. My wife's Audi A6 has a leather steeering wheel, as did my previous A4, of a type of leather that is vastly different from my current car's steering wheel.

BIMMIR guest

Nothing on a BMW is cheap. At least a new BMW.
    I'd love to make the switch myself, but I guess not for $1200.

breadman

I may go ahead and just buy a new M sport wheel from BMW. $1200 for a steering wheel is pretty steep. At some point you have to compare it to the hit you take when you just trade a car in.

rspeser

I replaced the steering wheel on my Z4 with the M wheel. The car has paddles for the auto and the dealer was able to slightly modify the M wheel for the paddles. Used the same air bag and so there was no problem with trying to get a new one. The new wheel also came with the multifunction buttons and was a plug and play installation. The wheel was $895.00 from Tischer which is not cheap, but the wheel feels fantastic and looks great. I would suggest you check with www.getbmwparts.com and ask them for the price of the wheel.