Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My e36.

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by ACM1899, Sep 21, 2009.

ACM1899 guest

My 1994 325is..

Here is my older car that i still love. Had her now for 2 years, changed the front seats and console and did the headliner. I hope you all like it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with the black trim around the windows? Thank You.

ACM1899 guest

More pics.........................

ACM1899 guest

Now this is where i have a little problem and i need your help everyone. The sunroof tilts on the drives side. I just wanted to know do i have to change the lifter plastic piece or both the arm and lifter?

ACM1899 guest

:( Is my car that bad?

Show me some love cca.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

THat picture of your sunroof tells me absolutely nothing. You will likely have to pull the panel to see what is wrong with it.

ACM1899 guest

Ok i will take it off and take a look. Thanks

az3579

What do you mean by "what to do with the black trim around the windows"?

ACM1899 guest

Its chipping and looks a little rusty on certain spots. I dont know how i should treat it. Do i sand it lightly and then spray paint it?

az3579

If you're feeling brave enough, sure!

ACM1899 guest

LOL. Ok you guys know more about cars then i do. It will stay as is. Thanks for the input.

Thanks again AZ you and couple others on this site are always helpful.

az3579

Don't be put off by my remark; I was kind of joking. lol
    I redid my trim on my E30. I hated the chrome, so I sprayed it black.
    The first time I did it, it ended up looking like crap after a few months because the paint was scratching off. So, I redid it, with a little better preparation, and I would say about 95% of it is still intact!

It's all about the preparation. If you want to do it right, expect to spend all day preparing the trim to be painted. Taping off the sides of the car (if you leave the trim on it) and sanding the trim can easily take hours, and this doesn't include the amount of time it takes to spray a coat, wait for it to dry, spray another, wait to dry, and to do this a couple of times more.

At one point, the right-side of my car's trim all fell off and disappeared during a "spirited" drive, so I obtained another long trim piece and sprayed that with Plasti-Dip. If you're too lazy to prepare your trim by sanding, you could just spray Plasti-Dip on it and it will stay. Just be warned: if you don't sand, you will see little raised dots in the spray because the surface isn't smooth.

ACM1899 guest

The guy who fixed my headliner is replacing the lifters and it should be done by thurs. Cant wait.

Mon. afternoon it will be done. Costing $300 parts/labor. I think i got a decent deal.

Pete Brandon guest

I bought new trim at a BMW dealer. If I remember correctly, it was less than $40 per side. Old trim pulled off and new trim went right on.

ACM1899 guest

they still have 36 parts at dealers?
    thanks ill check