Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Instrument cluster circuit board

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by 109941, Sep 20, 2009.

All,

Do various elements of the instrument cluster circuit board die without impact to the other elements or is it a creeping problem that eventually results in a total or critical element death? Also, I notice that some elements of the cluster (turn signal indicators, etc) die for a while then function normally. How long does this go on? Is it something I can just live with?

Thanks

jimoreno

Here is the link from E34.net with the fix for the instrument cluster capacitors. read and see if your IC behavior matches what they say.
    Good Luck!

My instrument cluster is driving me crazy... I have a '93 M5 and the tach stopped working 8 months ago. I've had all the capacitors replaced to no avail. I've had the tach sent to England, and to California, and no one seems to be able to fix it. And can't find a replacement M5 cluster. Thoughts?

MGarrison

Did you try programa? Have you measured the voltage signal coming from the DME to confirm it's not a bad signal coming from there? Maybe check the appropriate input to the dme too. Old wiring at this point. Except for the gauge faceplate, I'd be really hard pressed to think there's anything functionally different between the E34 M5 tach and any other E34. I don't know how they do it, but there are folks that change out the needles and faceplates, I don't know what you have to do the get the needle off the spindle without damaging the needle. Have you found any comments from E34 M5-specific message forums as to whether there's anything unique to the M5 wiring? I'd think BMW used the same wiring harness, at least to/from the dme cluster, what about getting a regular E34 cluster for cheap off ebay (or a pick n pull, or the bmw used parts places) and just plugging it in to see if it works or is any different? There's a company called odometer gears that makes replacement odo gears and the like, they might be able to say something about the internal mechanicals, or if it's all electronic.

Charlson hopefully will have a few thoughts too....

Hey MGarrison, thanks for the tip, Programa looks like they have a part, gotta double check it'll be fully compatible. I don't want it to be the regular board because I don't want my oil temp gauge to work like the economy gauge in the 5 series. Apparently the signal is getting through but the circuit board is bad. The tach itself appears to be working, either that or my spare tach is blown too!!

MGarrison

Call programa to discuss specifics - they may have a compatible/same board, but not listed on their website. Look up your part number on realoem.com and then put it in the realoem.com parts number search to show cross-reference of other models the part may have been in, may also show superceding info to figure out if there was a later part # replacing an earlier one.

Good advice, thanks!!

Hey MGarrison, thanks for the help!
    The Programa board fit perfectly! Tach and oil temp gauge both work as they should!
    Next problem: the SRS warning light flashes then stays on, but my car isn't equipped with an airbag. The old circuit board just had the bulb removed... it would be nice to fix the problem instead. Any thoughts?

MGarrison

I couldn't say definitively, but I would figure all US E34 M5's had airbag steering wheels - you can look that up on realoem.com using your vin or production yr/mo. Euro M5's, maybe not, don't know. I would figure it's looking for a signal it's not getting. Easy fix is probably pulling the bulb as before. Otherwise (presumably), it would be analyzing the wiring diagrams to figure exactly what triggers your SRS light and tackling it that way.

ETM's here: http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm