Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

obtaining & installing BMW NAV for 2004 E60

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by sar67, Sep 20, 2009.

sar67

My 2004 540i E60 did NOT come with a BMW NAV and I would like to obtain one. Is the BMW NAV a good system compared to non-BMW NAV systems, how much and where can one be purchased.

I appreciate your efforts to respond. Mark 610 647 5737 EST (h)

az3579

Are you referring to iDrive? If you had iDrive, don't you already have nav?

If you are talking about getting the iDrive system, you can't just retrofit it just like that. There's too much electronics involved, and the iDrive dash is different from a regular dash...

Which nav are you referring to?

sar67

Are you referring to iDrive? Thank you for responding yes, I have iDrive which came with the car

If you had iDrive, don't you already have nav? no, or I never paid to have it connected to the satellite. If you could explain it would be appreciated.

If you are talking about getting the iDrive system, you can't just retrofit it just like that. There's too much electronics involved, and the iDrive dash is different from a regular dash...

Which nav are you referring to? The one that comes with the car and seen in the screen. I wait. Thanks Mark

Mainor Vega guest

Mark, I believe we are in the same situation. I posted a similar question under the DIY forum. I found CCC navigation computers on E-bay for about $600-700. However, I am still researching what is required to install and correctly identify the one for my vehicle. I found the following articles that help me to better understand about Nav computers:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/jcarey/BMW Navigation Buyer Guide.pdf

http://www.soscl.co.uk/e60navretro.pdf

I am sure there is still much to learn before jumping into this project.

Mainor

az3579

Satellite... I think it was an option to have Satellite radio, but I could've sworn that if you have iDrive, then you have navigation. I don't see the purpose of iDrive if there is no navigation.

pseto

definitely not true. many 5 series, X5s, and above now get a version of iDrive that doesnt have NAV. in fact, the screen for just iDrive is smaller than those who order NAV with iDrive.

If you didnt get NAV from the factory, you're better off going aftermarket. They are better in terms of functionality, although you'll have to live with suction cups and wires. Retroftting NAV is a VERY difficult project and with the electronics heavily intertwined with various sensors, onboard computer, etc. you'll also be jeopardizing your warranty.