Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Matching Paint color for a Red 128i

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MsStig128i, Sep 15, 2009.

MsStig128i guest

I have a 2008 128i in Crimson Red. Somehow got a couple of scratches on the passenger door. Went to the dealership and they said that based on the VIN # my touch up paint should be Carmine Red. I argued my point and showed my window sticker from purchase that said Crimson Red; but, came home with the Carmine.

Sure enough - the Carmine Red was ORANGE tinted and taking it back, they admitted it was the European Red. Then, they ordered Crimson Red and replaced it at no charge.

Guess what, the Crimson Red is PURPLE - as in Barney Purple or Prince Purple Rain. No kidding. I haven't had a chance to call the dealership as we just attempted the touchup this weekend. We actually tried the paint in a small area on the inside door panel where yet another scratch was found - definitely purple. I'm not exaggerating. :(

I can post a picture if anyone would like me to.

Has anyone else had this issue with their car touch up paint? Suggestions?

John in VA

BIMMIR guest

I'm not sure about all of them, butr my local NAPA can mix up small touch up bottles to brush on, or large spray cans of your original color. As eariler stated, with your color code, or maybe jsut your VIN.
    I have one of each and it's really handy.

528eta guest

It depends on how deep and noticable the scratches are, but my advice would be to stay away from touch up paint, if your car is scratched its not always your fault, but an ugly glob of touch up paint is. I would reccomend buying a basic polishing kit from griots and go that route, then keep it waxed