Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Cooler on a 335i

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by rbindc, Sep 13, 2009.

rbindc

I have read that the oil temperature goes high when driving a 335i hard. Dinan offers a heavy duty oil cooler for $1400 (ouch!). The Dinan website also states that some 335i cars don't even come with an oil cooler.

As I am about to order a 335i coupe with the M package:

(1) Should this worry me if I leave the engine in stock condition?

(2) If yes, can I order the car with a heavy duty BMW oil cooler? (somewhere I read that I could)

(3) If I go with the Dinan oil cooler but otherwise leave the engine in stock condition will that invalidate my warrantee?

(4) Anyone have an opinion regarding UPsolute upgrade vs. Dinan Stage 1 or 2?

sunnyandrich

Hope you get an answer on this.

The literature I've read indicates it's not a certaintly that a sport-pack equipped 335i has an oil cooler...

fshubert

My 2009 335i with the Sport Package has the oil cooler. I asked and the dealer said it was part of the Sport Package. Not sure where to look for it to verify but I took the word of my dealer.

Joeb427 guest

On a 335 X-drive,I believe even with the sports package you don't get the oil cooler unless you also have the 18" wheel option.

pseto

since the OP is not getting an xi, all he would have to do is get the sport package, which would come with an OEM oil cooler. its located at the very bottom of the engine block and can be seen from the passenger side wheel well.

i still dont understand why BMW thought that people without the sports package dont need an oil cooler, but i guess there's a reason that makes sense to someone.

there's no way to get the Dinan oil cooler installed from the factory, its an aftermarket mod. IMO unless you're gonna spend a bunch of time at the track, the OEM oil cooler will be fine.

fshubert

Just looked at mine. I see a cooler in front of the passenger wheel behind the passenger fog lamp. There's also a cooler in front of the A/C condenser. This thing is jammed with heat exchangers. It has the Sport Package (18" wheels come with it). Impossible to tell which one goes where without getting under the car.

bl335i08 guest

Nice ride! hope to see some pics of interior in the future.

arsh guest

my 07 335 coupe did not come with. damn bmw started putting in march productions

pseto

if you got the sports package then you should have gotten an oil cooler. write/call BMW NA and explain the situation and they should be able to have the dealer retrofit it

Qunadry

Even with the factory oil cooler, the twin turbo engine runs hot. My 2007 335i did not have an oil cooler, but my 2009 135i does. The difference in oil temperature has been less than 10 degrees (240 vs 230+).