Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help! CD changer died!

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bmw brad, Sep 10, 2009.

bmw brad

Hey guys, wassup..... my oem 6 disc CD changer just decided to die on me! Does anyone have any ideas on what may have happened? I have the oem large screen nav, and when I try to switch from radio to CD, the display says, "No discs in changer." Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks, Brad

pseto

the OEM CD changers werent very good at all and i suspect it died just like 2 others i had in past years when i had my e46

bmw brad

Hey Paul, Thanks for responding...... is there any way to check and see if it in fact has died? Thanks, Brad

sunnyandrich

I had one of these units (Alpine?) in my MBZ...honestly, I'd be happy a mechanical unit like this lasted as long as it did in your case.

Might be an idea to source a replacement on Ebay, or just conclude it's time to replace it with e.g. a DICE unit and an iPod in the trunk on the same 6CD changer interface...Just sayin'... :)

M3Driver guest

Our disk-pack player went out in our '00 528i at about 80k miles. Replaced with a USASpec Unit from Crutchfield, everything mated up to the OEM head unit no problem using the Crutchfield-supplied cable. Took all of about 20 minutes or so.

Also a heck of a lot cheaper than OEM I assure you....:)

bmw brad

Thanks guys! i appreciate your thoughts! I think I will go with the crutchfield unit because as much as I'd like to go with the dice unit.... I have oem nav. (for the wifey) Thanks again, Brad