Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

End of Lease Inspection

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by E92Dreier, Sep 9, 2009.

E92Dreier

I have been contacted by a company called "autovin.com" -- They are a company that performs end of lease inspections for BMW. They seem very incompetent over the telephone - After waiting on hold for 25 minutes, and then speaking to an operator who could not pronounce my simple surname, I am suddenly nervous about my appointment.

My car is in immaculate condition. But, they want me there, with both keys, and my owner's manual present for the inspection. This has not been my experience with other end of lease inspections -- SUbaru and Audi didn't need me there, and they didn't need to get in the car at all.

I am buying a new 2010 335i...how do I use that purchase as leverage to ensure a favorable rating of my end of lease car? Does anyone have any experience with autovin and their representatives? Any advice?

Joeb427 guest

You'll be fine even if they find a few flaws
    Don't worry!.
    You say your car is in immaculate condition and you're buying a new BMW.
    2 for 2!

E92Dreier

Should I make sure to mention my upcoming purchase to the lease inspector? Should I have the inspection performed at my dealership?

Joeb427 guest

Isn't the inspection at the dealership?
    Usually if you're leasing or buying another BMW,you'll get more leeway on issues,if any.

E92Dreier

The inspectionis not at the dealership, the inspector is coming to my office to see the car. I had the same thing for my old Audi S4, but they didn't need to get in the vehicle.

I am trying to figure out if I need to performt his inspection at all -- the compnay has told me over the phone that this inspection is mandatory prior to lease turn in.

Joeb427 guest

Any lease I've ever had was turned into the dealer because the vehicle was leased through the manufacturer.

E92Dreier

My lease is with BMW FS

Joeb427 guest

Then the purchase of another BMW should help if you have any issues.

E92Dreier

How do I use my pending purchase as leverage with a 3rd party inspector? Just tell them?

I am just curious...I am going to have a 3rd party dude/dudette sitting in my car and telling me what is what...how do I ensure success? It seems to me that BMW has outcontracted this responsibility, and it is making me a little nervous.

I hate insurance adjusters and inspectors, and these people seem very similar. I am just trying to get a handle on them, so I know what to expect. Is their report binding? Final? Does my BMW dealer have a say at final turn-in? How do I use the leverage of my pending purchase to ensure my satisfaction?

Thanks in advance -- has anyone actualyl done this before?

Joeb427 guest

Why don't you just wait and see if you have a problem?
    You say the car is immaculate,don't worry.
    You can always mention you bought another BMW.

fshubert

I would not use a 3rd party for the inspection. Seems like a problem waiting to happen. I just turned in my 2007 328xi lease for a 2009 335i (both thru BMW FS). The dealership did an inspection and saw no issues, gave me an inspection sheet. They said ultimately BMW would do the final inspection and send me an excess mileage/wear document in the mail. Lo and behold, a week later it came in and matched the dealer appraisal. No issues at all. The boilerplate message on the BMW FS form said I had 7-days to notify them if I wanted to dispute/use a 3rd party (but there was no need). In fact, the day I picked up the new lease, I dropped off the old car, the dealer took my old plates and put them on the new car and I drove off. It was that easy. Stick with the dealer.

E92Dreier

I hear you...I will have the inspection performed right next to my other BMW...but, at the same time, I am worried that BMW has deemed it appropriate to share my information with a third-party. These people know my home address now...is that appropriate in this day and age? How do I know how carefully the agents of this third party are vetted? How do I know that the inspector isn't going to call his cousin and tell him about the nice cars in my home? I just hope he sees my NRA membership stickers and steers clear.

BMW NA seems to be confused on this matter as well. I just got off the phone with an operator who told me first that this company was not authorized to do my inspection, adn that there was an error. Then, I was told (by the same operator) that my dealer was not capable of doing the inspection at all, and that this pre-inspection inspection would actually be my final inspection. I asked what would happen if after the inspection, I shattered my windshield and drove to my turn-in...she said I would not be charged. :rolleyes:

According to BMW NA's operator, there would be no turn-in, final inspection at all. But, then she volunteered to schedule my appointment with yet another third company, either at my home or at my place of employment. I asked if it could be handled at the dealership -- she said it could. But then, she claimed that the third party company was actually for residents of another state, and that the original company was the appropriate agency! After 15 mintues of banter, I told the operator that our conversation had only made me more confused, and that I was going to pretend it never happened. Total incompetence.

BMW should not share my personal information with any third party. BMW should figure out a way to control any potential communications between any necessary 3rd parties and their "valued" customers -- I should not have received a call from someone who barely speaks english telling me that I am required to allow their inspectors to my home or business.

Who knows...maybe this whole thing is legit, and it is just poorly organized. As I told the operator, in this era of rampant identity theft, I am hesitant to be involved in this. The people calling me had my SS information, my VIN, my address, phone number, et cetera.

I am not going to be overly concerned about the inspection itself -- I realize that my car is in excellent condition and that I will likely be OK. However, think of this thread as a PSA for the BMW commnunity. Let BMW know about your experiences vis-a-vis lease turn-in -- if anyone else has dealt with the same people I have, they are probably driving Audis.

E92Dreier

Thanks...I think that part of the problem is that my dealer does not do lease turn-in inspections...It's my opinion that the whole situation has been handled poorly in my case. I am certainly not angry with my car or my dealer, just at the condescending operator from NA and the jackasses with autovin.com -- i'll let you guys know how things go.

bimmernet guest

Call your BMW FS and then your dealer

Since this is all between you and BMW FS ultimately, why not call them first and ask about autovin; if there's some regional service they have contracted for they'll acknowledge it. Ask them if it's "mandatory" to have a remote, early inspection because frankly it sounds bogus to me. Sounds like if they can convince you they must do it and you go along then they can invoice BMW FS for the inspection.

Call your dealer. If they are a "Full Circle" dealer you can drop-off your leased car when you pick-up your new one even if you didn't acquire it there. I work in a large Northern CA BMW Center and have since early 2003 and I've never heard of autovin.

Bimmernet

bimmernet guest

Ooops my bad...

I confess I read the first page only on this thread on my small laptop and missed your phone description of your call with BMW. I'm a little confused; did you talk to BMW North America (the Distributor) or BMW Financial Services (the BMW Bank) that is an affiliate of BMW NA but not the same group at all?

Your contract is with BMW FS and I would strongly advise taking this "up a notch" as Emmeril says and "Bam!" hit a BMW FS executive between the eyes with this horror story. BMW, BMW NA and BMW FS love their customers and frankly bend over to please and retain them and similarly train and strongly direct us to do the same which we do for the right reasons to retain great clients like yourself.

The lack of quality in the communications is not the "Ultimate Customer Experience" we are told to strive for in everything we do. Don't let this go because it's not the way BMW wants to be seen or remembered, I guarantee that.

Bimmernet