Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front license plate dilemma

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by csxander, Sep 1, 2009.

csxander guest

Just got my 2003 540i with MSport package from CA and registered it in VA. I now need to place tags on the front bumper as reguired by VA and I can't bear to drill holes in the newly painted bumper, plus it takes away from the look. Has anyone have a get around for this without putting holes in the bumper?

Thanks

Dmarque

Well, we all have different priorities. Mine would be to MOVE the heck outta of a state that requires a front plate.....before I add a front plate to my M-Sport. The front air dams on these babies are an art form and need to be seem unencumbered.....

I feel your pain man!! MOVE!!!!

m
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

vtx guest

I've bought mine in a state with no front license plate - the plate holder was tucked away in the trunk in a plastic bag. It installs without drilling, mounting holes are hidden in the middle opening.

Having to deal with previously installed front plate holders, I can tell you that it *will* scratch the paint underneath, so you might want to take additional measures to protect it. I'd say double sided stickers, but that chemistry might deteriorate the clear coat anyway. So yes, looks like you will be taking a hit this way or that - my commiserations in advance.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Maybe you can use that 3M clear paint protector underneath the plate holder.

vtx guest

About 3M clear protectors - when I was buying my car, I was against them out of prejudice, having not seen one before. Thought they'll be visible and spoil the car.

Turned out, I was wrong - and when I saw one installed, I regretted that I haven't installed one on my car - but alas, it was too late, chips have settled in. Thanks for suggestion, Paul, that'll definitely do it.

Dmarque

ON a related issue: Can you use the clear tape on a repainted hood? If so, how long after the repaint before you can apply it?

Thanks,

Dmarque

ViolinARC guest

granthr

csxander guest

Thanks Grant, The second site looks like the way to go. The Mower Deck Axle Co has a kit for the E39 for $89.95 plus $10.00 shipping.

granthr

Glad to help! :)

Dmarque

Identical Cars

Xander:

I'm the wise guy who said to move out of state instead of putting a plate on the nose. Just wanted to say....our cars are identical. I also have a titanium 2003 540 M-Sport. Still love the car....she's cherry too!

Dmarque

An Aside about Paint Film Protection:

Since your post I looked into the 3M Protection Film. We happen to have one of the best installers in the country here in Grand Rapids. They educated me on the importance of custom cut film and moved me away from using pre-cut sections. They also introduced me to a similar but better product by VPS Protection Film and how these 2 companies recently merged to be able to handle a variety of applications. It's all about getting a VERY experienced installer when you put this stuff on. I had it installed on my newly repainted car. It is fabulous stuff. Nice touch to add to lower rear panels too. Pretty expensive to do this but it was worth it to me.

c019740 guest

we are required to have a plate in IL too- I dont put one on and havent for the past 27 years. My wife has gotten pulled over once or twice with warnings.

Dmarque

Atta Boy!!! We must be of similar priorities. I'd do the same if I had to live in Illinois.

If you have much more trouble though you are welcome to move over here to Grand Rapids where one rear plate is sufficient.

united2512002

Dmarque

Terrific........... I wonder how they'll justify whatever government reasoning they originally concocted for requiring a front plate in the first place.....

BMWtoyz guest

The move to get rid of them is strictly economical, it has nothing to do with ehy they were required in the first place.

Dmarque

Of course the reason was economical and most likely political as well.......BUT it seems hypocritcal to REQUIRE and ticket people for not posting their plates on both front and back for years and then to determine one day that no fine will be levied. If it was so darned important to mount plates on the front that you received a citation for not doing so.....it's sure is hypcritical to suddenly say that is no longer an offense......

granthr

True, but the ticket was entirely economical too! :D