Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Break wear sensors

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Chris Brown, Mar 31, 2008.

Chris Brown

Ok, With your help!! I was able to change out my diff, rebuild the shift linage, got the new gwebo in, Now I ordered new pads and rotors from Bavarian AH and have found the ware sensor connections have been cut off at the wheels, Do any of you guys remember the article that was in Rondel (i think) about the proper way of repairing these connectors? after this break job I will be ready for the road.... If the Damn snow will abate for spring. This group has been an excellent resourse!

Tx CB

eicarguy

connect on strut

If they're cut at the wheel, is there still a connector on the strut? These pull apart, so just get a new wear sensor and you're set.

If not, you'll need a donor car to strip out the other side connector.

ei

mjweimer

The junkyard may be your friend if the sensor wires have been cut above the connector.

I am also assuming the bulb has been pulled from the dash so don't forget to replace it.

Matt

jmalter guest

good point about the dashboard indicator light, Matt - whenever that light turns on, it's def'nitely time to find out the cause, before you trash a rotor. Sometimes it's just a loose connector, though.

another relevant point is the float-switch in the master-cylinder cap - i've just got my car back from service - my dashboard brake-light was lit, but it was that float-switch that failed, all the pad-sensors were ok, and pad-thickness was more than adequate.

weird, though - after my car was road-tested, they pulled the wheels, and discovered that the (aged) Ferodo pads were starting to disintegrate - they'd started to shear 'horizontally' (parallel to the plane of the rotors), so it was best to replace them all.

mjweimer

Interesting that the pads started to disintegrate, I have never seen that from age. I have seen pads disintegrate from overheating due to a stuck caliper but that is a totally different situation.

Matt

Chris Brown

thanks

Thanks again to all who posted replys regarding my brake Job and sensor wire issue.I look forward to doing the job / trip to junk yard & actually driving the car soon, will send in a picture.

happy trails

Tx cb

jmalter guest

hi Matt, i agree those pads were weird. They had plenty of thickness left & had never been on track. They hadn't started to come apart, & still had unremarkable contact-surface texture, but 5 of the 8 were showing an obvious shear-plane 'bout halfway down, a kind of 'split here!' marker, & who'd want to be driving around w/ that?

The only time I drove a 325iC, it was a black auto-transmission loaner from Dan's shop. I was driving my normal road home from his shop to my house, groovin' on how much motor it had, but forgot that convertibles weigh several hundred pounds more than my car. Approaching a stop-sign w/ my customary brio, that sucker just did not want to slow down, it finally stopped w/ the front end sticking out about 2 feet into the (fortunately empty) intersection. I got home *very* carefully, thanking my star that I wouldn't have to be making an ugly phone-call back to Dan.

Popped the hood immediately, and sho' nuff, the brake-fluid was old enough to exactly match the body-color!