Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Will I void my warranty if I change my own oil?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Adalbert, Aug 23, 2009.

Adalbert

I'm planning on doing a break-in oil change on my coupe and have everything lined up: oil, Mann filter, and the filter wrench... but a thought crossed my mind: will I void my warranty if I change my own oil?

Sometime down the road when I show up at my dealer for my first official oil change will my Mann filter give me away? Does anyone know what brand of filter BMWs come with from the factory? Has anyone changed their own oil and been hassled by their dealer later on?

P.S. How do I get the BMW CCA logo to appear under my user id?

Thanks,

Autohaus guest

I changed the oil between BMW's 15K mile interval using a cheap aftermarket filter (I forget) while the E46 was under CPO warranty and they didn't say anything when it was due for another oil change at the dealers expense (under maintenance too). I think BMW uses Mann/Mahle filters but they aren't labeled on the box/bag that they come in.

On the CCA logo, I think someone else can help you out on that one.

BIMMIR guest

I have changed my own using bmw oil and filter with no issues. BMW will change it on condition based service or, at a one year interval for a low mileage car. I changed my convertible at 7500 miles a couple of months back. At the 1 year service this week, they did a check over, and state inspection was completed. Nothing was said about it being an issue of me changing the oil, in fact, my service manager (on request) gave me the oil and filter that they would have done that day for the one year service. Yours may not do this, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I think what my guy did was exceptional.

Ditto on the logo, it just happened automatically for me as far as I know. Are you a full member, or maybe brand new?

ViolinARC guest

Oil change using VacExtractor...excellent experience!

I just did an oil change last night using a VacExtractor and it was a piece-o-cake but I'm no longer under warranty so that isn't an issue. The great thing about the VacExtractor is that you NEVER have to get under your car and the old oil goes right into the container, which avoids any possibility of spillage! It is a very simple procedure and shouldn't void your warranty but I'd check with the dealer on that first...

Here is a link to the procedure for e39's but as you know, it's all basically the same. Let us know what the dealer said about the warranty...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161468

BTW, I believe the OEM filter is Mahle if you want to maintain OEM. Personally, a filter is a filter is a filter since I've read about failures from just about every brand made. I read a complaint recently about STP but from my research, it has nothing to do with the filter but the o-ring seal that they provide with the filter. I used the STP micro-filter, reused the original o-ring and I have zero leakage from my initial inspection...I'll keep an eye on it though. GL...

Adalbert

Does anyone other than the dealer carry the Mahle filter?

Autohaus guest

Many online part suppliers such as bmpd.com, bavauto.com, bimmerparts.com, etc...

John in VA

The dealer-supplied filter for my E46 is made by Mann. The name is printed on the end amongst the BMW part and filter model numbers.
    The most competitive prices I've found lately are from ww.autohausaz.com

wretched

http://getbmwparts.com/

Tischer BMW! I order my oil change kits from them all BMW!

They have a tune up kit also that includes the cabin and engine air filters. ALL OEM parts from a dealer and reasonable prices.

fshubert

Does anyone know what it would cost to just have the dealer do it? I don't agree with the scheduled free service (oil chages at 15k just doesn't seem right.....I prefer every 3k miles). I just got my new 335i and would pay for changes every 3k if the dealer would pick up the price of every 5th change (ie 3k x 5 is 15k). Mike Miller's "Old School Maintenance Schedule" suggests a 1200-mile break-in and oil changes every 5k to 7500 miles. Doing the oil myself may or may not be a warranty issue but having the dealer do it may be worth the extra $$$. Thoughts?

sunnyandrich

Pelican parts does, www.pelicanparts.com.

sunnyandrich

I've seen typical prices (in my area) of around $265.00.

To me, it seems high, given my total parts cost of about $50 for 7 quarts of BMW OEM 5W-30 (buy at dealer, use BMW CCA discount) and a Mann or Mahle filter (buy online, usually at www.oembimmerparts.com or www.pelicanparts.com).

I've used my Mityvac oil extractor (E46, with dipstick hole, obviously :) ) and 36 mm socket for six years now, paid for themselves many times over...

PS 3K seems a little soon to me, I just halve the OEM interval of approximetly 7,500 miles. Surprising how dirty the oil is when I change it.

fshubert

Thanks! One question: How do you drain the oil without the dipstick? Darned modern electronics...... :)

az3579

Oil pan drain plug.

sunnyandrich

Ja.

One other point, I agree a 1,200 mile break-in oil change is a good idea.

Also, I'm not sure how amenable the E9x series is to this, but a preventative diff and MT break-in change (I assume you have a MT, if not disregard) would be worth considering as well.

I've heard that E9x differentials don't have a drain hole, which might mean evacuation via a suction device. Not sure how that would work. On my E46 it's a fairly simple drain and refill plug, both separate, for the litre or so which goes into the diff.

BIMMIR guest

Look for a trap door in the plastic plate under the engine. Open this and you'll find the drain plug. (Word of caution - your previous oil draining tub may not be big enough, you will be draining 7 quarts!) Ooops!

cduenas1

fshubert: Pay attention to the condition based service indicator for when your oil changes are due. It may be much sooner than 15,000 miles based on your driving habits. My indicator suggested a 1st oil change at 7,000--which I'm hoping to take care of tomorrow.

The indicator is either in your iDrive (which I don't have) or the lever on your steering column. Also, when you first start the car, the oil change mileage service will appear in your dashboard for a few seconds. I bought my car in late March, and every few weeks, the indicated oil change service mileage would drop another thousand miles.

az3579

If you don't have iDrive, what indicates when to change your oil on your car? Is it the old-fashioned green/yellow/red bar (digital version) on your instrument cluster display, or does it write it out on that display?

BIMMIR guest

On e 90 series, between the speedo and tach, there is a small digital screen that has your odometer and a menu of things standard like MPG, avg MPH, etc. Using your stalk on the steering column you can scroll through a number of service things, miles to oil change is one. Also, on start up, it flashes up miles left to oil change then defaluts back to the standard view.

cduenas1

BIMMIR's reply above is correct. I would add that some might get confused between reading the oil level and checking the oil change service info. Scroll through the choices (using the lever on the face of the turn signal) until it reads "SERVICE INFO" in the display. Select SERVICE INFO by pressing the "BC" button to the right and then scroll through until you find the oil change symbol. You will also see info regarding service for front and rear brakes, brake fluid and general service.