Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 Xdrive35d Towing Safely

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by rodneyr, Aug 22, 2009.

rodneyr

I am seriously considering purchasing a X5 Xdrive35d. I have owned several BMW in the past, 2 now, and this would be my first SAV. This would be a daily driver for my wife, but would also serve part duty towing my Porsche GT3 with an aluminium Featherlite trailer to Drivers Education events. I know a Cayenne would be a better towing vehicle because of a higher towing capacity, but for various reasons I would like to get a BMW. The 26 mpg really appeals to me.

Do you really think this 6 cylinder car could safely tow around 6,000 lbs? I know there are better options, but I can only have one car for a daily driver/tow vehicle.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Rodney

rodneyr

Anybody? I posted this question on a Porsche forum and got several replies. I would have thought on a BMW forum I would have gotten my positive comments about the BMW in question.

az3579

The forum you posted on most likely has many more active members. Plus, not too many people actually have the X35d yet, so that coupled with only occasional forum activity here is going to yield in a longer response time.

tmetz guest

rodneyr

X5 Xdrive35d

Well, I ordered one. I am sure it will be a fine daily driver and should work as I tow vehicle when needed. I just could not pass up all the discounts.

Rupp guest

Ditto.

I was told that the allocation slots for January were almost full, and that there was some question about whether BMW would consider the diesel rebate. So, that got me off the fence. They are giving away Touregs, which tow more, and are more off road worthy, but: (1) as long as the X5 can keep you out of mud, deep snow, nasty dirt road trouble (which no one here has answered yet for me either; and (2) I like BMWs and my dealer or why would I be posting here - - - the X5 gets the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to look into taking delivery in Spartenburg [sic?]. That might be fun.

hyptgoldnz guest

You will love the car....very comfortable...as long as you get rid of the runflats....I did a performance delivery pick up , our 4th, brought it home bought a set of Michlins, non run flats...made up a spare all is good...rides like it's on a cloud...

As far as towing the torque is awesome for a car trailer...no problem, i tow with mine...by the way the hitch is a Grand installed....brakes are fine... good luck Greg

pas4751 guest

hyptgoldnz, why do you not like the run flats? i just got my X5 D two weeks ago and they seem to be fine

AnniesBMW guest

I found this thread long after the discussion started. I do not have a D but the 4.8 which I bought specifically for towing. I have towed a Baxley motorcycle trailer with 2 BMW touring bikes and pulled through the NC mountains like they were not attached. However, when wanting to pull a small Airstream found out that electric brakes could not be installed on the X5 -- after market companies will but it could damage the balance of the electrical system and would cost over $1500 to repair. So, if anyone has experience with electric brake options I would love to get advice. Also, I never changed out the run flats and have nothing to compare with, but am totally satisfied with the performance so far. I will add the x drive came to be a lifesaver when I encountered an unexpected snow/sleet situation deep in the North Georgia mountain last month!