Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2000 540i navigation & radio problems - not working

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by bimmer5, Aug 17, 2009.

bimmer5

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago my radio/stereo started having problems / cutting out - I can get it to come on for up to 5 mins by turning it off / on again.

Then a day or 2 later the navigation screen went blank: it now displays as black w/ occasional 'white noise' lines.

Does this mean the whole radio / nav system will need replacing or is there - hopefully - a cheaper fix?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

BMWguy206 guest

Sounds like a bad NAV unit to me. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the NAV unit and see if that works. If not buy a replacement at www.bimmernav.com

ViolinARC guest

Simple stuff first...

Check all your connections first and if all seems ok, open trunk (ooops, no trunk on the iT...LOL) to access your battery, wait until everything has gone "quiet" (15-minutes or so) and then disconnect your battery for 30-minutes. Re-check your audio system for proper operation. If you are still experiencing the same problems, it may be your radio module/amp is failing. I'm not sure where it's located on the iT but it's a large silver box in the left trunk compartment on our sedans...

Let us know what you discovered...:)