Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

325i (2004) brake light comes on

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Footsox1, Aug 14, 2009.

Footsox1

We just bought this 325i, 2004 with 66,000 miles on it. Nice car, showroom condition. One slight problem - after driving it for perhaps 15 minutes, the brake light comes on and there is a warning light sound when the light comes on. I have checked the brake pads -- all in good condition. And checked the brake fluid level - also where it is supposed to be. Any suggestions? Also, when this light comes on, it doesn't effect the braking or the "feel" of the brake pedal. Could it be some computer thing? or what else? Thanks for any advice.

John

ACM1899 guest

I have this problem on my 94 325is. My lights work but it never corrected itself. I have asked a tech. and they told me its a part that underneth the brake paddle. I think its a sensor you have to replace.

If its the same as my car this might be your problem.

PS Just found this on another forum. Try this: The sensor is activated when the conduction path is scrubbed off.

After you replace the sensor, all you need to do is turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine and the light should go off in less than a minute.

GL.

az3579

Did you check your actual brake lights to make sure those are functioning? Where is this particular warning light located?

It might just be a bulb in the back, or the brake switch if it's the light I'm thinking of. Or, is it the brake lining light? That comes on when the brake pads are really low. Your pads may be good, but what condition are the sensors in? Perhaps the car had service and the sensors are worn. I understand newer cars don't have this problem as much as older cars, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Footsox1

Thanks for the replies. I will check the sensors... or have them checked. Can I replace one of these sensors myself? Any tips on doing that. Thanks.

Hey Botond Pal - Do you really have one with 330,000 miles on it? That rocks.

Thanks again,
    John

az3579

Yep. And, no warning lights on, except for -- you guessed it -- brake circuit light on in the check panel. :D
    (Brake lights work fine though, so probably the brake switch)