Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Should I make the M5 leap?

Discussion in 'E60 M5 (2006-present)' started by BMRDRVR, Aug 3, 2009.

BMRDRVR

Man, what a car. I've got a 335xi and a 2000 Z3 M now, so I'm no stranger to Bimmers. But this thing is intimidating, between getting comfortable with the power, the smg tranny (especially!) and all the other tech doo-dads. Dealer is asking $53k for a 2006 that sold for $96k to a doctor who ordered options for his options. Are there issues I should know about before buying? Transmission issues, electrical, etc? Are these cars tender and skittish or solid as a NASA rocket booster? Be brutally honest.

Gonzogonzilla

I've had my M5 for two years and I'm quite enamored with it. BMW makes different models for different driving needs. I see what you're driving and the M5 ain't those. It's designed to be a relatively heavy city-to-city cruiser on the Autobahn. It won't be moving around on a windy day. The long wheel base allows great comfort and stability over long periods on the road. After spending a couple of weeks in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, I began to notice that they don't bank their curves there...mainly because in icy conditions, you'd just slide off. So, to compensate, BMW employs an active suspension that negates body roll and allows you to take corners, literally at the far end of the tire grip. I've had my car at BMW driving events...one at Road America, where I was lapping the course at about 84mph or something. Not bad for a four door sedan. I hope your prospective car has the "comfort seats". I had a friend who had a very bad back and wept for joy when he sat down in my M5. Okay, there is one down side to this car. It is a bit difficult to start out in 1st gear. It's a bit balky. The manual even talks about it. That's the only ill-mannered thing I can think of. The M5 V10 is superb and has a sexy growl. She does drink gas and use oil, but...if you can afford the M5...it's not a big deal. Finally, I'm thinking on doing some Dinan upgrades, just to make it a bit more radical. We'll see. Good luck.

NASADeac

Trust me, they are not NASA SRB's - I know. ;)

treybn guest

ok, give it to me! i am a newbie, so fire away folks...

Now i will tell you, the grin on my face has not changed since i picked up my 2006 M5, with 26k miles, thirteen days ago. it sounds so cliché, but i had truly forgotten how much fun driving used to be. Wife and I both have Suburbans.... omg this car pegs the funmeter!

Gonzogonzilla

Fun is Fun

The next conclusion you'll come to is "Why should I drive anything else?"
    For some people, an M car seems "normal", god help us. I drive my M5 all year around, here in Chicago, I just change out my tires. Have fun.

Oh...and get a Valentine...not the card, the electronic counter measure. Trust me.

TeamStowell We love driving!

For years we drove a 540 sport with Dinan toys because an automatic was needed to secure marital bliss. Now I await the day when we can afford the cost and upkeep of the newer M5s that require less rowing through the gears. Take the jump, enjoy the drive and keep us updated!

hyptgoldnz guest

Buy mine...2006 7/70 warranty 21 k miles...it is flawless and showroom and come with ALL options, lojack, clear bra......48 grand. on the forum...or call me 978-502-3925 Greg