Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Low Mileage Oil Change

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by Qunadry, Jul 27, 2009.

Qunadry

I guess that people are getting the message that 15K or one year between oil changes is insanity, including dealers. My dealer has a new service called low mileage oil change. It is not covered under the free service plan, but is reasonably priced.

M3Driver guest

How much is he charging?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

When are we changing the oil?

In conversations with the guys at Red Line Oil, they said that 15,000-mile oil changes are not really out of the question with today's synthetics---and that anything under 7,500 is wasting money!

So I compromised: I change at 5,000, but they way my hectic life is going, that somehow gets closer to 7,000 by the time I actually get around to doing it....
    • Staff

steven s

I replace my oil filter at 1/2 intervals.

M3Driver guest

Hmmm...Interesting. The engineer in me says "prove it with data...". ;)

330indy1

hmmm that's funny. my dealer was happy to put in fresh TWS 10w-60 for the time interval (no charge) at 500 miles on the odometer.

granthr

In three of my BMWs I run Redline in the motor and change the oil at either 5,000 miles or yearly depending on what comes first. The M3 and 318i never see 5k in a year. I change the oil in the M3 right before storage each winter. The 318i gets yearly use in good weather.

My 325ix gets dino Castrol b/c the motor has 172k on it and that is what it is use to. I change that at 3k and top off the transfers case at the same time. (they are known for leaking even when new).

cduenas1

My 2009 328i has just under 7,000 miles on it and the on board computer says the oil change is due at 7,000 miles. It has gradually decreased from 15,000 every few weeks since I bought the car in late March. Gotta love LA traffic. Should I expect the dealer to give me problems about a free oil change if the car itself says it's time?

listerone guest

Only having about 2K miles on my first BMW I can't speak about servicing them through any first hand experience,However,it's hard for me to see how they could deny you if the onboard computer calls for a change at 7K..But then,there's always that "fine print".