Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bluetooth: Phones/Services/Car Compatibility.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by jesimmons, Feb 23, 2008.

jesimmons guest

Following up on Jonathan's great article on Bluetooth phones and BMW compatibility, I see I need to get more educated.

See I have Sprint cell service (mostly happy with it BTW) and a non Bluetooth phone. With my new 535i arriving in a few weeks, I have a dilemma - what bluetooth phone to get. I should say up front I'm not interested in a Blackberry, high-end PDA type phone... Just a good basic phone/camera with bluetooth that works.

I see from Jonathan's review that the Moto KRZR K1M (Verizon network) works pretty well with the car's bluetooth system. The Samsung SPH-A900 which Jonathan said worked very well with the car and Sprint is not available any more (at least I can't find one through Sprint's onlne system). But Sprint also offers a Moto KRZR K1M.

So this begs the question... If a Moto KRZR from Verizon works well with the BMW, shouldn't the same model phone from Sprint work as well?

I realize it may be dependent on software versions in both the phone and car, so the only way to be sure is to try it. But conceptually it should work right?

Thanks for any insight.

Bill Howard

In theory, a good phone on Verizon is a good phone on Sprint? Not so, based on what Jonathan tells me, and I bet he'll be online shortly with some additional thoughts.

Jonathan and I spent hours going over the story, more than either of us wanted to spend, but we wanted the story to be the prototype for what you should expect from the club's publishing arms for your forty bucks a year: awesome insight and technical depth, whether from Jonathan here or Mike Miller in Roundel or the other dolts working with Satch and Phil at Roundel, or with me over here. BMW's website tells you want works, which is nice, where we're committed to also telling you what doesn't work, on account of your friendly Verizon rep will likely say, "Yep, it's compatible, and if you find it isn't, just bring it back in the next 30 days."

The other thing Jonathan believes fervently: As crazy as compatibility is between Bluetooth phones and BMWs, Carly Simon summarized it best: Nobody Does It Better.

jesimmons guest

Thanks, Bill.

I plan to head to Sprint after my 535i arrives and pick up a Sprint KRZR - but only if they agree that I can return it if it doesn't work and can cancel my contract if none of their phones work reasonably well with the car. Unfortunately, to get a new phone from them, I have to re-up for another 2 years - something I'm really reluctant to do. :mad:

I may just jump ship and head for Verizon. My better-half has Verizon and a new KRZR, so we can fully test it before I head for Verizon land. :)

Bill Howard

[IMG]I'm not personally KRZY about KRZR but it's individual taste. My short list for phones is Bluetooth and built-in navigation (which you can turn on and off at any time on most carriers). If the phone isn't on Jonathan Spira's approved list, look at BMW's approved list. Absence from the list is more mysterious: You don't know if the phone failed testing, it it hasn't been tested, or if it's midway through testing. My personal sense is BMW's loyalty ought to be to its buyers, and if a phone was tested but hasn't yet been approved, BMW ought to say so.

SRFast guest

Getting a test hanset is highly recommended. If the salesperson won't let you test a phone, expect the same level of service if you encounter a problem.

Regards....JL

Bill Howard

Pairing the phone is an important first step but as Jonathan Spira details in his stories, many phones (not all) pair successfully but you don't get much of the features set richness of the phone.

jesimmons guest

And, I understand that phones might pair fine the first go around, but run into problems later on and have difficulty regaining communication.

I think my approach will be to go to a Sprint store, try a few phones and select based on initial success, but make sure I have 30-days to return the phone If I don't find it satisfactory after a few weeks of regular use.

If I can pair, make and take calls using the car controls, upload the contact list and display/call based on names or numbers on iDrive screen, and use "hands free" speaker phone capability I'll be happy. Anything else is pure gravy.

I'll be picking up my new 535i this Saturday so my phone quest begins in earnest then.

Jonathan Spira guest

I think this is the best approach, all things considered. The Motorola mobiles have in general proven themselves to be very compatible but they would not be my first choice as a phone.

Since you're experimenting, you might consider trying the BlackBerry Pearl from Sprint as well. I haven't tested the Sprint version but I have found the RIM BlackBerry products to be übercompatible.

I´m glad that the Bluetooth story has been helpful. :cool:

jesimmons guest

Thanks Jonathan - Your excellent review has helped immensely. As far as the Blackberry Pearl, it looks like an awesome phone. My issue is I really don't need all the whistles and bells (or the required Blackberry service plan). I negotiated a Sprint plan that costs me $40 a month (taxes included) that is pure phone service.... No email. No Texting, No "TV", Music. I really don't want or need these features. All I need is a phone that works with the car for voice communication.

I know I'm probably in the minority here since people get hooked on their "crackberrys" and probably spend a fortune in monthly service. Call me a cheap skate, but for me a phone has 1 purpose - voice communication - and I want something that does that well with the car. :)

Jonathan Spira guest

Doesn't matter :)

Just use it as a regular phone and skip the extras. It's a great phone.

jesimmons guest

I'll check at the Sprint store and make sure it doesn't require a special plan. The good news is they will give me a $270 discount on it if I re-up for 2 years. Even so the thing is $229.... not cheap, and a bit more than I was planning to spend. But if it works well with the car, I'm willing to try it. :cool:

Thanks for the advice.

jesimmons guest

Took delivery of my 535i yesterday. Couldn't be more pleased with it so far. Paired my wife's Verizon Mororola KRZR right off the bat and it worked perfectly from the get go. Took all of 3 minutes to get it working. Called some friends via the car and asked about sound quality and was told by the folks on the other end that the sound was the best they had heard on their end.

So now I'm going to head over to Sprint and see what I can come up with for me. :)

MichaelADavisSr745Li guest

Congrads on the new car and the sucess of the phone quest. I had been watching this strings progression because I need some insight as well. Have a GREAT day!!!

Michael

jesimmons guest

THANKS for the 411. Have a GREAT day!!!

Michael

ed2008 guest

updated models list of compatibility

Here is my situation:

I get a phone provided for me thru work, on an AT&T account. My IT guy just gave me a list of the phones that I can buy through work (huge discount) and be on the work plan (free).

Here is my problem:

None of the phones on the list (except Apple iphone) are on the BMW compatible list. that seems improbable to me. Could the list I have from AT&T, have newer phone model #'s that would in fact be compatible with a 2008 335i coupe, BT & Nav?

How could I find this out? I really don't want to have to pay for my own phone service.

Thanks for any help.

More phones work than are listed...

I had a similiar problem and I even called BMW to see if my phone, a Motorola V3i, would work. When I called the person told me that only the V3 would work and that the V3i would not. There were other phones, but I didn't want to get a new phone because I like the V3i. I also have AT&T as my carrier. A friend allowed me to see if my V3i would work and it did, FULLY. So I took the chance and brought the adapter, had it hooked up...and it worked GREAT. My address book populated thru the iDrive, it works thru the speakers, the auto mute works fine when the music is playing and a call comes in.

Hope someone on the forum can be helpful to you. This place is GREAT for info.

ExGMan

I think the answer is is front of you. Why not get the iPhone, if it's being offered at a huge discount? Jonathan Spira endorses the performance of the RIM Blackberry phones, and I certainly second that, as I have an 8700c (AT&T) which works flawlessly with my 2007 530xi. When Mrs. ExGMan gives up in disgust on her Verizon Palm Treo 700wx, she gladly picks up my 8700c.:D

ed2008 guest

Where are the iphone discounts?

Your response certainly makes sense. Where can I get one that is discounted in price? :confused:

Jonathan Spira guest

T-Mobile in Germany offers it for 99,- € - that's the best price I've seen. Otherwise, I haven't seen any discounting.