Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E92 M3 1200mi first service - dealer forgot something

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Space Cowboy, Jun 22, 2009.

Space Cowboy

I've learned that one of the required service tasks for my 2008 6MT M3 is replacing the transmission fluid during the 1200mi first service. I've learned that a number of dealers are failing to do this, and my dealer apparently failed to do this task on my car.

My 1200mi service was performed in September 2008, and I've put about 6500 miles on the car since then - no track days, but definitely some spirited rowing through the gears. What is the likelihood of damage to my 6MT transmission? What should I expect/ask for as a remedy?

M3Driver guest

They should have replaced the fluid. Take it back in and have them do it. Speak to the service manager, not the service advisor. Damage? Highly unlikely, but get that fluid changed. However any damage what would occur would be on their dime since they didn't follow their own procedures so I wouldn't worry about it.

Some dealers never cease to amaze me....A tech at my local dealer (a great dealer too) was not going to change the diff fluid on a 1200 mile service on a new M3 until another tech (BMW Master Tech) told him he needed to. Jeez... How hard is it to follow a checklist?

cheers...

CSBM5

Of course it's just another way to pad the bottom line as they surely got paid for the service work by BMWNA. Report the problem to BMWNA so that they can make a record of it for both your car and the dealer. Definitely change the fluid now. Hopefully, your dealership is competent enough to change it properly and with the correct fluid.

Space Cowboy

Thanks for the advice. Per M3Driver's suggestion, I spoke with the service manager. They tell me they did do the service - it's just listed on the invoice in a strange way. Instead of saying "Replace Transmission Oil," it says, "Running-in Check." I feel better knowing that this service was not overlooked; however, I'm still unclear whether it was done properly.

The SIB that details 1200mi service for the 6MT E9x M3 says the transmission should be serviced with P/N 83 22 0 309 031 Gearbox Oil. The dealer says they used 2 liters of 83 22 0 412 126 Transmission Fluid.

Are these fluids interchangeable?

CSBM5

See this link for applications for the 83220309031 part number. The M3 is listed, and this is the "standard" MTF-LT2 BMW tranny fluid. Not sure about the other number, but it's possible that it is for a different sized container of the fluid. It doesn't show up in an application check on realoem.

bimmertech guest

^^^What he said. BMW part numbers for transmission fluid are for a 20L bucket. Dealers have to create their own # to bill different increments. That is the most likely cause for the discrepency.