Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Windshield Washer system

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by stuts, Jun 21, 2009.

stuts

Hi guys. Anyone have information on the washer system? The Bently manual brushes over the system in about 4 pages. 2002 525t. It has a leak somewhere. I removed the RF fenderwell plastic to reveal the washer reservoir and three pumps. There were no apparant leaks there. I followed the middle hose up to the engine compartment where it went into a 'y' connector. One leg went to the 'intensive cleaner' pump, and the other went to the hood squirters. Of course, when I moved the tubing, it cracked and broke at the connecting barb.I also noticed that the 'intensive cleaner' pump was swollen and cracked open. When I removed the plastic elbow going into it, a small "T" shaped pin head came out. It seemed almost like a check valve to prevent the lower pump from sending water back into the upper tank. There is no mention of it in the manual. There was no such 'pin head' on the lower pump.
    The layout made no sense. Two pumps fed one tube going to the hood nozzles. Does anyone have any info onthis? I will be buying new parts tomorrow AM. Thanks in advance. Stuts

The 3 pumps is correct - one for each system including the rear window.

Regarding the tubing - mine has 2 seperate tubes going up to the hood - IC and main washer are seperate. There are 2 Y connectors up there to split each of the tubes to feed the 2 nozzles.

Each of the 2 nozzles has 2 inputs - one for each system. I think there are check valves in the underside of the hood but I did not look up there on mine.

Perhaps BMW did change the tubing to be as you say but I can not verify on mine. If they did then it would probably only need the one check valve because when the IC is operating the main ome is also so you would not get a backfeeed to the main reservoir.

Sounds like if you fix the broken compnents you will be OK - but you should also check the tubing and nozzles in the hood.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

stuts

Windshield Washer Pumps

Jim- Thank you so much. That is the system that the factory manual shows, and what other cars look like. What I did not mention is that the car had been hit fairly hard on that RF corner and the body shop "repaired" everything. So, I can't trust how the system is set up now. My squirters do have only one hose inlet, plus the heater wires. The shop has no record of replacing them and they claim they are originals. The shop has agreed to try and fix it, but now I don't trust them, and am trying to find out if there has been any changes from the system you have and the other cars I have looked at. I really appreciate the feedback. Stuts