Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Metallic Clink / Rattle

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by fletcher, Jun 18, 2009.

fletcher

I have a question about a noise my 1994 525i has been making for a while. It's very hard to describe, and is only noticeable/audible to me when coasting at low speeds (5-10 mph, like in a parking lot) with the window down.

The best way I can describe the noise is a metallic clinking/rattling like if you were to drag a thin metal bracket or something slowly down the road (minus the scraping sound of course :p). I have noticed no abnormal handling or behavior at high or low speeds, just the noise, and there is no clunking sound along with it. I could try and record the sound if it would help diagnose the problem.

Has anyone encountered this or know what it may be?

Thanks

MGarrison

See if it correlates with braking. My rear calipers were pretty well shot, and one of the pistons would be over-retracted, leaving enough room for the brake pad to clatter noisily and very annoyingly away, until the brakes were pressed.

eightynine535 guest

the last time I heard a sound like that it turned out to be a key I ran over that got stuck in the tyre threads.

fletcher

Thanks for the responses. It does not seem to be related to braking, but it's hard to tell.

MGarrison

E34's have a lot of exhaust heat shields which can rust, loosen up, rattle in various ways - if you had a brake pad rattling, it would stop when you press the brakes, unless the caliper's not working at all.