Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mini Windshield

Discussion in 'R56 Cooper, Cooper S (2006-2013)' started by 2johnnyowens, Jun 17, 2009.

2johnnyowens guest

The other day while I was driving to work, I beleive a rock fell off a bridge that was under repair. It hit the windshield and low and behold...I have a circle chip in the windshield the size of a dime. Has anyone replaced their windshield due to damage? My insurance said they will replace it but I need to use a traveling guy they recommend. Not sure if I can trust just anyone. Any comments???

granthr

I think your insurance company is offering you BS. I don't think they can dictate who you use. However, they might pay you the lowest bid and then you have to cover the difference. Ask for a check and tell them you will get it fixed yourself.

I have State Farm and I recently replaced a windshield in my 325ix. They didn't care who I used. I ended up paying the whole thing myself though b/c it was cheaper than my deductible ($250). I used a guy who has been replacing windshields for about 30 years and is very familiar with older BMWs. Couldn't be happier! :) The windshield had 171k on it, and was a bit pitted. Nice to have a brand new windshield.
    • Staff

steven s

I just had a windshield replace enroute.
    Nationwide uses Safeauto and has access to their schedule.
    I could have used anyone but using Nationwide to make all the calls was a life saver.
    I was on the road when my window was smashed and was able to keep moving until I got to the repair shop. I only lost an hour.

I wouldn't worry about a mobile repair service.
    Glass, glue and trim is all they need.

GimmieSumMo72 guest

yeah you can trust the mobile repair services. they do a pretty good job.

i replaced one on my '96 328i and they replaced the glass and the gaskets for $224... way less than my $500 deductable.

im currently trying to replace the windshield in my 850 but there are only 19 windshields left in the country, so we (insurance co.) were forced to go OEM.

mb135is

I am on my THIRD windshield on my R53. The guys at the auto glass place know my name and my car by now. It's not amusing.

- Marc
    • Staff

steven s

Early Minis went through windshields like water.

mb135is

That, and Thunderbolt didn't have grass when we had our first event there. 100 mph on the back straight + sticky-tires on the car in front of me + rocks galore = WOOPS!

- Marc