Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Throttle hesitation

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by cla67, Jun 10, 2009.

cla67

My girlfriend recently purchased an 04 330Ci. There is a significant stutter in the throttle at over 3000rpm when driving at highway speed, to the point where it makes passing dangerous. The other day she also reported the idle dropped and almost cut out while sitting at a light. We did not notice this on the test drive. In fact, the engine pulled very strong.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

sp330i guest

Start with Fuel

You didn't provide the mileage or service history on the vehicle to provide any targetted type of response, but I'll attempt to help.

Assuming the car has been serviced at the designated intervals and you don't have a check engine light on, the first place I would start is with the fuel. If your girlfriend is not running a premium grade fuel from a high line fuel provider (Amoco, Chevron, Exxon) start there with a few tanks of known quality gasoline. Also determine if the air filter needs to be replaced.

If that doesn't cure the problem, you could have an issue related to either your oxygen sensors or camshaft position sensors, but in most cases these will trigger the check engine light.

Please respond and let us know what you discovered.

cla67

Thanks for the response and sorry for the lack of info. The car has 51k and has had the recommended service performed. The problem is more of a pulsing when throttle is quickly applied at 3000-3500 rpm or below. Something keeps the engine from spooling up. I can't say for certain yet but it seems more prevalent after the engine has warmed up. After a long trip the check engine light did come on but went out on its own after the next day. I had a 2001 330 and never had a problem with acceleration in a low rpm/high gear situation like this.

I did chcek the air filter-clean. Only use premium fuel. If it was a sensor problem I would think that would manifest itself across the range of speeds/gears. It will be going in for service so hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

Any way to change the thread title so it is more descriptive?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The electronic throttle may be to blame here. You should really have it checked for codes. It will need to be scanned by a shop with a BMW specific scanner, not just OBD2.

mattm

I believe there is a TSB and DME/engine control flash - reprogram. Might even be at no charge since it might be is an emission related item.

331205 guest

cla67, Did you ever find a resolution?

I also have a 2004 330Ci with the same type of throttle hesitiation at about 3000 rpm under acceleration.

Vehicle details: Approx 74k miles, 6 speed manual, always premium fuel, all maint up to date, no check engine light on

If you figure out the issue, I would definitely be a happy to know what worked!

Thanks.

bobbythecard

I have a 2004 330ci and have the same problem....has anybody in this thread gotten this fixed.

Some threads say it could be the vanos seals but I think that would affect the car at all rpms. Others say it is the throttle position sensor.

Any answers?

aaronb9

Same issue here, 04 330i zhp, 56k miles. Fuel filter with pressure regulator, and air filters were just replaced but didn't solve it. I have cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner spray twice, and I only ever put shell or chevron premium fuel in the car.

I've had the DME reflashed (twice) at the dealership, and the adaptations cleared several times. It always gets better for a couple of days then the issue comes back. It's not throwing a CEL or storing/generating any codes.

It's always at 3000 rpm, most noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear when accelerating moderately. Doesn't do it if I accelerate very gently, and doesn't seem to do it at WOT either. It stumbles and surges from 3000 to 3500, then takes off and pulls strongly all the way to redline.

I'm going to do the Vanos seals soon (have the seals kit, waiting on ancillary parts) but other than that I'm running out of ideas too.

bobbythecard

throttle hestiation

I started looking also at vanos seals ..Beisan Systems haa a 46 page procedure that is very thorough start to finish. 6 hrs for DIY and 4.5 hrs for a professional..just clearing a lot of crap out of the way.

I also changed fuel filter,cleaned my air filter, cleaned the MAF and changed the plugs. I cleared the codes (MAF, crank sensor and O2 sensor). Ithink the MAF causes the other codes. My friend has a 2003 M3 and came up with same codes. I also cleaned the throttle body.

I can't believe no one has solved this problem. Next step may be MAF and then Vanos seals for me.
    I also saw discussions about DISA valve flap, it's above the throttle body connected to the intake manifold.

aaronb9

I replaced the vanos seals last weekend, and have finished the specified break in period for them. They have not fixed this issue, but did make a slight improvement in top-end response and the car feels a bit stronger from about 2500 rpm too.

The stumble/hesitation at 3000-3500 is still very much present. It's been suggested to me that the oil separator and associated hoses might be worth looking at next, as well as checking the DISA valve for play/sealing.

My car's not throwing or storing any codes which is making tracking it down very difficult.

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has any success with pinpointing this problem.

sunnyandrich

aaronb9

Thanks for the link, I'm pretty sure this isn't the same issue as the "4k zhp dip", it seems to happen before that and will pass through 4k with virtually no issue.

I had it at the dealership april of 08, they performed a DME reprogram/calibration as per SIB 12 57 06.

The work order says: "reprogrammed DME using progman v24.00.-5/ 1299000 -5"

I had it back at the dealer again in may of 2008, this time the work order mentions SIB 12 14 06. They reprogrammed the DME again, but didn't include as much information this time.

As I understood it, that should have put the latest dme software on the car, as of april 2008 anyway - have I got that correct?

I appreciate the suggestion, it might be a good plan to try a different dealership and see if they can check to see if a newer software version is available than what's on there.

bobbythecard

My friend and I think it is the fuel regulator on the fuel filter. We are going to mimmick open throttle by jumping the relay behing the glove compartmnet and then put a fuel gauge on the shrader valve for the fuel rail. He looked over Bentley manual and said once the car is at open throttle the O2 sensors dod not come into play.

I will let you know by the end of this week if he comes over and we do the test for fuel pressure.By the way this only occurred after I replaced the fuel filter??????

A neighbor let me drive his NSX - only 275hp, 3000 lbs., all aluminum body,etc. The car was a trip to drive and snapped your neck.

aaronb9

So your car only started doing this since you replaced the fuel filter? I had mine replaced to try and solve the issue, so I know mine did it before.

That would be great if you can let us know what you find out after the test.

M3Driver guest

There was some type of issue regarding this; I had to have something replaced on my /01 330Ci due to a similar issue. It's been so long ago, I've forgotten.

Check with your dealer.

bobbythecard

Test for fuel pressure/fuel filter regulator showed 50 psi so back to the drawing board. Does anybody know where to find all TSBs on BMW cars.

aaronb9

Can anyone confirm/deny whether updating to the latest software version should be an all-encompassing thing - should it cover any previous software update TSB?

From what I've been able to find out, getting the DME updated to the latest version looks like it should include all previous updates, but I'm still not 100% sure on that.

The next thing I'm trying is new intake boots & spark plugs, supposedly the intake boot rubber perishes and can develop cracks/leaks over time. I don't expect this will fix it but it's one more thing to rule out. The car's approaching 60k and I was planning to do the plugs then anyway.

Just out of interest, of those who're having this problem too - does your car have the zhp performance package and/or is it manual or automatic? I'm wondering if there's any common element present.

bobbythecard

Mine is a 6 speed manual. My next step is to check resitance etc. on coils to see if their values are all the same. Since you have to take coils out anyhow why don't you check values for coils (just a suggestions).

I also emailed Dinan to see what they say since they are always modifying the software. Maybe I will try some other sites to see if they can offer some help.

nissanite

Just to chime in, the question was asked. I have an 04 330i ZHP 6 speed. Under mid throttle accelleration mostly in 3rd gear my car chugs. I think this may be the same problem. It was just at the Dealer for a complete check with severl repairs. This was not addressed.:mad:

Enhanced 3 guest

I see that you say it isnt the 4K dip, but.... I have an 2004 330Ci that suffered from the 4K dip and would stall out upon coming to a stop when it was new (Bought in March 2004). The DISA valve was replaced and latest software pushed and the problem was corrected. I havent had a problem since. Point being, might want to have the DISA valve replaced if not done already.

Just something to look at. Good Luck!