Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Octane Q

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Jay Polak, Jun 5, 2009.

Jay Polak

I just bought a new BMW 335i the salesman and the service advisor both said the same thing ... since you can't get 91 octane in Georgia as long as you use a top tier gasoline it does not matter weather you use 89 or 93 octane. Sooooo what is the real deal. Does it matter? Thanks

az3579

Get the 93. I think using 87 would cause some knocking to occur.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

They mean at least 91 octane. The car has knock sensors to reduce the possibility of detonation, but it is not adviseable to run a twin turbo car on cheap gas. Pony up the dough, and always buy the premium (top tier if you can find it.)

Qunadry

Use the highest octane top tier gas you can find. I can not believe that my BMW center delivered my car full of gas from a local lower price chain, and not top tier. But I guess I'm not surprised since the local Porsche/Audi/Saab/Volvo dealer gets their gas at the same chain. :eek:

M3Driver guest

Shell or Chevron 93 works for me.

wretched

Top tier all the way! Highest 90's octane you can get. I only have Shell in my area.... Has any one notice that the top tier site has been down for a few weeks now!?!