Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Custom Color Options

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by thedge9, Jun 5, 2009.

thedge9

Ive heard that E46 M's came in some non standard colors. Like being able to order one in Dakar Yellow, previously available on the E36. I haven't been able to confirm this, or know anyone that has been able to. Is this just a rumor, and If not, does anyone know if its possible to do this when ordering a E92. I love the Silver Gray Metallic previously available on many BMW's including the E46, and would love to have this color as a option.

AlanD

2010 Dakar Yellow M3

Niello BMW has a listing for a new M3 in Dakar Yellow.
    The ad says the color is not an aftermarket add-on, it is factory.
    I don't know how one can order this color... it is not on the conventional palette of exteriors when you "build it yourself" at BMW NA.
    Any more information... ?
    AAD

Zeichen311

You need...
    a) a knowledgeable dealer with good contacts within BMW NA and/or AG;
    b) a bit of luck, because not all requests are approved; and
    c) $5000 (yes, thousand).

AlanD

5K no way!

Well I guess it shows to go... there's a price for everything.
    Thanks.
    AAD

thedge9

wow

thanks for the post, at least I know now its not just a rumour. 5000 is a little steap though, even by Porshe standards, and they are the kings of factory customizing, at a price.

Zeichen311

Happy to oblige. I should elaborate on requirement (b): Custom requests are far more often denied than approved. All evidence says just plunking down the cash is not enough (else they'd be inundated).

Oh also: from what I've heard you can regard that price tag as a minimum, some off-the-menu colors might be significantly more, if available at all.

John in VA

A local chapter member here had his E46 330i delivered in an E36 blue color, but I don't know the surcharge. It might have been done under BMW's Individual program.

neill

There are currently E92 M3's special produced/ordered for Canada in:
    Dakar, Monte Carlo Blue, Laguna Seca Blue...

Phoenix Yellow from what we have been told is NLA due to pigments being exhausted (my paraphrasing....)

SBrasesco

Re; Individual Colors

While I agree with the above poster that it ain't easy...it ain't impossible either....
    an M5messageboard member in FLA has a Frozen Grey E60M5.....
    You just need a dealer who gives a darn and has some pull w/BMWNA.....and yes it is apprx 5k for the special paint....
    as far as Dakar yellow goes....there is an E92 in Dakar Yellow in Washington State....I cannot speak to him having gotten it through the Individual program...BUT it is there and looks nice!

neill

We just received confirmation that we are getting an April production M6 Coupe Euro Competition Edition in Frozen Grey :)

AlanD

UK Coupé Edition

Check out girlracer.co.uk
    The article says that this edition of the M3 comes in Dakar, Monte Carlo and Alpine white.
    The seats have corresponding stripes and stitching... depending on the ext. color.

SBrasesco

No loss there....my neighbor had an E46 Vert in Puke Green as my kids called it..(not to his face of course)...Just never felt that color at all....
    LSB does not look right on an E92 IMHO....although Atlantis Blue is KILLER..as is the Dakar.
    Are you with a dealer on the East Coast???

Zeichen311

It's funny, I felt the same way through most of the E46 era. I never cared for the color on hardtop bodies. But a week or two ago, I spotted an E46 M3 ragtop in Phoenix Yellow/black parked at a local mall on a bright sunny day...and I have to admit, it looked hot. Somewhere along the way it grew on me. (Insert "like fungus" jokes at your pleasure.) :)

Oh, and regarding BMW Individual and custom colors: BMW Individual is a business unit of BMW M GmbH. They offer "BMW Individual" colors such as Mondstein (Moonstone) and Rubinschwarz (Ruby Black) that are available routinely to non-US customers for an upcharge, and also handle "custom" colors that are neither on the regular palette for a given Series nor Individual colors (e.g., Dakar Yellow on an E92 M3). Either way, as I understand it the custom paintwork is considered "BMW Individual" business even though it's not necessarily a "BMW Individual" color, if you follow me. :)

thedge9

colors

so is that the 5000 USD that people have quoted, or does the BMW individal program have a different cost. Or is there one proce for the standard Individual combinations and a different one for true custom orders. Can BMW NA order from the Individual program is this verboten?

Zeichen311

$5000 US is the BMW NA retail price for a non-standard color (when they do it at all), whether it's a BMW Individual color or an "ordinary" color that isn't offered on the car. In countries where they are routinely available, the Individual catalog paints seem to be priced below full custom paints (e.g., 1950 euro in Germany).

The full BMW Individual program is not available in the US of A, though a limited subset is offered on the 6 and 7 Series as so-called "Individual Compositions:" Pre-defined combinations of paint, trim and upholstery from the full Individual catalog. The a la carte Individual options are not offered. I imagine someday we might see more choices, if our well-heeled 6er- and 7er-buying brethren show enough interest in today's limited offerings.

From what I've learned our consumer protection laws in the USA are the biggest hindrance to the program being offered here. We can back out of a new-car purchase right up to delivery, even on a special-ordered car, which is all but unique in the world. BMW NA isn't keen on putting its dealers at risk of getting stuck with an expensive car, of possibly limited appeal, when someone reneges on a deal.

I think the availability of even these few options has a lot to do with the drastic changes in the Individual catalog over the last ten years. There used to be many more choices with few (if any) restrictions on combinations. Most people can understand the reluctance to build a combination like Techno Violet over Arizona Sun (bright orange) leather for a market where the buyer can say, "ehh, sorry, changed my mind" (and lose only their deposit, at most) when they finally lay eyes on the car. :eek:

thedge9

point taken. Im sure there where a few individuals who ordered phoenix yellow early that didnt want to take delivery once thye saw the color ( described by many at the color of bile). I heard of such stories at my previous dealership in ohio.

neill

Half correct - with a dealer yes, East Coast, no - Calgary BMW in Alberta....

Agree on LSB - we bought a Z3 M Roadster that was LSB, and the sales guys called it Smurf Blue.... looks ok on an E46, but still a bigger fan of Estoril...

We also just ordered out of April prod a Brilliant White E93 - it will have (IIRC) Platinum interior...

SBrasesco

You guys in Canada get all the goodies!!....Estoril and Avus are my two Favorite blues....though the Carbon Black E39M5 I had was stunning.
    As an American I could not buy a BMW in Canada or could I??...or are they spec'd out the same for safety as the US??..or would I have to have the car federalized???....and would BMW NA honor my warranty in the States???....cause if the answer is YES to all of the above....I'm buying my next BMW this summer in O' Canada!
    Thanks for the info

neill

AFAIK, the cars can be imported into the US with minor mods - the biggest being the cluster (in cda we get on km/h speedo markings)... warranty applies, however the included sched maint does not (and in Cda we get only sched maint, not wear items like brakes/rotors...).
    Finally, we are bound by our dealer agreement to only sell for primary consumption in our home market (as are the US dealers...), so effectively cannot sell with knowledge to a US client... pre-owned is ok, although again, CPO coverage does not transfer either...

solution: move to Canada! :D

Llansley737

Frozen Grey now available???

Can anyone validate the internet rumors of this "matte finish" color (Frozen Grey) being eventually available to the US market in August 2010. Possibly as an "Individual Color"?

Pictures are now available on the internet in UK showroom. Very Nice!