Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OBD II Code reader/reset tool

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Wronsky, May 27, 2009.

393763 guest

Pro readers

so which are the PROFESSIONAL code readers, and how much do they cost?

jackgale guest

CA SMOG police

In California they passed a law prohibiting anyone other than a smog authorized shop to read the codes. Anyway that is what the local Autozone just told me when I took a friends car in with a check engine light.
    I own a Peake tool and have used it to reset service lights and it correctly diagnosed a bad O2 sensor which more than paid for it.

Jack
    98 740iL
    97 318ti
    98 Ford Ranger
    73 MGB

vtx guest

I call BS. Not that there is any trust in anything they say to begin with ("you've got questions, we've got blank stares"), but it would be fascinating to watch their reaction if one asks them for a reference to the exact section of the law that prohibits whatever they say it does.

chicane

lex99m3 guest

Carsoft 6.5 sp1.1

I have had Carsoft 6.5 Sp1.1 for about six months and love it.... Bought the cable on ebay for $80 bucks.

bigjussin guest

carsoft

i second the carsoft notion...

got the software for free from a mirror sight, and borrowed cables from a buddy...diagnosed former srs issue

granted i had to hack a bad file in the software, but was super easy to do

nd4spdlsc

I bought a Peake R5/FCX-3-U and an Actron CP9180. The Actron was less from Amazon.com and it does more diagnostics like reading O2 sensors, A/F ratios, and other parameters. It's also able to be used on multiple vehicles. The Peake is downright outdated and overpriced for what they offer.